Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-installed XP, now can't get online or to other programs

• Please log in to reply

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, Son's computer, way too slow , way too much stuff on it, so while he is away at camp my husband decided to reinstall Windows XP and basically start with a "new" computer :whistling: . However, we now can't get on to the internet, or to any of the programs installed, ie Office, internet explorer, etc. They seem to be there (can find Icons, name on C: drive etc, )but when we click on them it says they don't exisit.

Don't know if he did a back-up --- that would be too smart!!! So let's assume he didn't; how do we get this thing up and running before son comes back from camp. I am quite sure all the stuff that was on there is gone, ie photo's, music, documents... but so are any virus he had!

Are all of the programs gone? is all of the data gone? or can we get it back some how? how do we re-connect to our wireless network when it doesn't seem to see it...

THanks for your help...

Kim

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What kind of computer is this? It sounds like you did a repair install instead of reformatting and doing a clean install. If you still see icons from programs that you had on your computer but did not reinstall then try to reinstall the programs. If you go to Start then Run and type in devmgmt.msc do you see any red X's or any Yellow exclamation marks?

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is a HP Pavillion a210e. I just found out that my husband used the Dell System XP reinstall disk... that could be part of the problem? He is now searching for the HP CD... I am only hoping that he didn't throw them out when we re-did our living room and he threw a bunch of stuff out...

there were no red x's or yellow exclamation marks...

Kim