Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Static Ip on XP

• Please log in to reply

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am using Windows Xp and I am trying to set up a static ip. I am using a wireless router, Motorola SBG900. I have the right DNS nameservers, so the problem seems to lie elsewhere. Any help would be nice.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Unless you have a router between your computer and the SBG900 you can't use a Static IP for your computer. The SBG900 is a modem not a router.

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, yes i do have a router that the SBG 900 is connected to, the thing is i have a wireless adapter connected to the computer I am trying to set a static IP on, so its not connected to the router.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I looked further, the SBG900 does have DHCP server built in, what IP address are you trying to give the Win XP computer?

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Im trying to give it 192.168.0.136

Im slightly hesitant as to put up further information because you could simply hack or steal my ip.

But I do have the right DNS servernames and I have all my other Ip info.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Rest assured, I or any Techs on this site would never do anything of the sort. The IP address you need to assign to your PC needs to be in the range of 192.168.100.xx. not 192.168.0.xx

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ahh, can i choose any number to replace the .xx

on a side note i needed a static ip to port forward so that i could host a game and the site chose numbers for me to use, i assumed they were right until i found out that i had the DNS nameservers right

EDIT: there could be people scouting the site for information to use for malicious purposes

Edited by tiptopfunnyman, 05 August 2007 - 01:30 PM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Yes, you can use any numbers up to 253 but not including .1. And you are correct, many people access this site and public IP information would not be good to have posted for all to see. I hope you don't think i was offended by your remark.

Looking through your modem setup guide, it kind of shows examples with conflicting information. So try the IP I gave you and see if it works.

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, I didnt think that, simply explaining my reasoning.

I dont see where-as you provided an ip address, unless you are referring to the 253.

I also tried a number earlier, I put in 192.168.100.62, and it still wouldnt work

I just tried 192.168.100.253, and got nothing

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
How is everything setup, you said you had the SBG900, and a router. How are these two connected and how many pc's are connected to the router?

Advertisements

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The SBG900 is in another room upstairs directly connected to the router, two things are then connected from the router. My PS2 and my mothers work comptuer. The computer I am on is downstairs and is connected to the surfboard through a wireless adapter.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
OK, so if you use a dynamic IP address you can connect with the wireless pc?

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Naturally.

But the whole purpose of the static ip is so that i could host a particular game, which is otherwise not possible.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Then go to Start Run and type in cmd then type ipconfig then post the results here.

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I suppose i could always get rid of the results after i post them

EDIT: these are the results, while im connected to the internet, obviously

Edited by tiptopfunnyman, 05 August 2007 - 02:02 PM.