Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Going bonkers here

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've been searching and reading, reading, reading, reading and more reading and more searching.....................

Is there really just a plain Radeon X600? You know, no Pro or XL next to it? If so, where can I find things about it such as

year, code name, fab (nm), bus interface, memory max (MiB), core clock Max (MHz), memory clock max (MHz), Config Core, Fillrate Max (MT/s),memory bandwidth Max (GB/s), Bus Type and Bus width, and Graphics Library Support (version) Direct X and OpenGL?

Also, during one episode of a tech trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer he had me do an F2 (I notice things that drive myself crazzzzzy) and I saw
Date U 4/19/2006 Time 00:05:15 Type Log area cleared Data None
U 4/19/2006 00:08:04 Post Error Smart Error Sata 3
U 4/19/2006 01:37:14 Post Error Smart Error Sata 3
U 1/8/2007 00:00:00 Post Error CMOS Battery Failure
CMOS Checksum error
CMOS Time Not Set

Can someone explain this to me? Please? I did have a motherboard replaced in December 2006

Bottom line question - should a brand new built computer have this in the Maintenace Event Log? I bought my computer JULY 2006.
Thanks very very much.

Edited by confusedinMich, 06 August 2007 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
X600 is the name of the chipset used in the new Radeon 2900 XT, so no there is no such thing as a plain X600 :whistling:. And the rest of your questions I pretty much don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://ati.amd.com/p...X600/index.html
No you won't find a dedicated graphics card with just x600 anywhere, this is the name brand ATI gives to differentiate the better GPU from the worse and get more money for it, similar to what nVidia who names their cards with the GTS, GT, GTX and so on.
The reason why you cannot find the dedicated graphics card called x600 anywhere is because there isn't one, you have onboard graphics on your mobo, something that cannot be purchased without a motherboard.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 11:51 AM.

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

http://ati.amd.com/p...X600/index.html
The reason why you cannot find the dedicated graphics card called x600 anywhere is because there isn't one, you have onboard graphics on your mobo, something that cannot be purchased without a motherboard.
James

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are saying here.
Are you saying the X600 would be integrated on the motherboard? 0804071120b.jpg this is a picture of the plain X600 that was sent to me to replace my NVidia GeForce 7900GS. There were no letters after it. Just an X600. It fit into the designated slot but didn't have any drivers to install it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
In the case that it's a discrete graphics card there is no such thing as just a x600, just like there is no such thing as a 7900. They added letters for the public to distinguish which card is of higher quality then the other, commonly called high and lower binned.
If you were exchanged a x600 for your 7900GS, I highly recommend you reverse that transfer as the 7900GS is a MUCH better card, the x600 was released 3-4 years ago, the 7900GS was released last year.
Anyways if your looking for the driver it's here.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Once you have click on the link please do the following:
Please click on your operating system
Next click on radeon
Next click on the x600 series.
Catalyst 7.7 is the most recent driver set from AMD/ATI.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 02:29 PM.

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

In the case that it's a discrete graphics card there is no such thing as just a x600, just like there is no such thing as a 7900. They added letters for the public to distinguish which card is of higher quality then the other, commonly called high and lower binned.
If you were exchanged a x600 for your 7900GS, I highly recommend you reverse that transfer as the 7900GS is a MUCH better card, the x600 was released 3-4 years ago, the 7900GS was released last year.
Anyways if your looking for the driver it's here.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Once you have click on the link please do the following:
Please click on your operating system
Next click on radeon
Next click on the x600 series.
Catalyst 7.7 is the most recent driver set from AMD/ATI.
James

I told the manufacturer that the X600 was old and not as good as the 7900 GS but they said they strongly disagree with me and said they had very good reviews for the card. LOL Well, I did tell them to take it back and to give me back the 7900 GS. Unfortunately, for some reason the 7900 GS doesn't seem to last very long in my system. I think this is the 3rd one in a year. Thanks alot for taking the time to respond to my messages.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good reviews I'm sure, but probably 3 years old.
Np, glade you mentioned that little detail, I really hate it when manufacturers try to rip people off like that. Hopefully this one will last longer....
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 09:05 PM.