Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hepl! Windows won't boot...

• Please log in to reply

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I shut down my computer last night and when I tried to reboot this morning all I get is:

We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start sucsessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

But at this screen I cannot use the up/down arrow keys to try and start in safe mode.

I also cannot boot into safe mode.

I also cannot get to setup so I can boot from a disk if need be.

It's almost as though keyboard isn't working though I don't see how that could happen?

After that screen counts down 30 seconds through which I cannot do anything I get the Windows screen which looks like it's loading Windows. Then there's a half second "blue screen of death" with writing that flashes to quick to see. Then the whole process starts again. Ugh!

I've tried installing the XP disk but to no avail.

There's also a strange repetitive whirring noise each time the computer tries to load Windows.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you press the power button and then keep tapping the delete key to see if it enters set up

If yes, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Nope. It won't let me do that either. Seems I can't do anything. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try tapping F2

Which make and model PC?

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Nope can't do that either.

Honestly don't know make and model. A friend put it together for m e and it's been running great for a year now... until this. Will ask him.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which part of the tower does the noise come from

Have you opened a PC case before

Have you got another keyboard you can try

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The noise is coming from the back top of the tower.

Yes to first question and yes I just tried another keyboard.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
At the top, with a fan housing?

Can you unplug the PC from the mains, remove the leads from the back of the tower, printer, keyboard mouse, so only the monitor is connected

Plug it in to the mains, press the power button to see how it does

After that, it will be to unplug the PC from the mains, open the case and remove the soundcard, video card, and leave the memory stick in slot one, then see how it does at starting

Avoid touching metal parts