Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

-12 volt power is -6.8 volts

• Please log in to reply

Tired of Reboots

Tired of Reboots

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have frequent reboots and I am looking at a variety of potential solutions. I loaded speedfan and all voltages look OK except -12V. -12V is showing between -3.8 and -6.8. Is this normal? Is this showing signs of a failing power supply? Power supply on this white box machine is 3 years old and runs constantantly.

Thanks

Edited by Tired of Reboots, 05 August 2007 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Either the power supply is faulty or the -12v is underrated in current for the load it is handling. The best way to test is to substitute another supply and see if that corrects the problem. Or you could remove the supply and take it to a shop to be tested.

Tired of Reboots

Tired of Reboots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks. I'll probably just try a new power supply -- the original is too noisy anyway! I'll post an update after I replace the unit.

Tired of Reboots

Tired of Reboots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I replaced the power supply, -12V is now reading about -11.5 which should be acceptable. I've elimiated that problem, but still have frequent reboots. Back to the spyware theory ...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I just want to note something here, speed fan isn't always accurate.
Generally speaking the 3.3V and 5V rail is right, the rest of the voltages are hit and miss, if it's really far off it's pretty well safe to say that speed fan isn't reporting correct results. For example on my computer it reports the +12V rail to be running at 1.09V, if this was the case my computer wouldn't boot. If in doubt you can always check the BIOS, it has the most accurate information. As for the reboots do you know your system temperatures?
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 11:59 AM.

Tired of Reboots

Tired of Reboots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The BIOS was reporting voltages in line with SpeedFan, but thanks for the tip. The machine is working well now after I removed AOL's AntiSpyware software! This thread may be closed.

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.