Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems installing windows after reformat

• Please log in to reply

13urger

13urger

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey

i need help reformating my computer. I was in the process of reformating it and the power went out to it. I got it back up and running and am now trying to instal windows back on but it comes up to a screen that talks about the benifits of windows xp and then it comes up saying invalid function. When i go into the set up log file it says:

error:SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest orpolicy file "D:\1386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTL.MAN" on line 16

xxx

error: installation failed: D\1386\asms. error message: incorrect function

xxx

Fatal Error: one of the components that windows needs to continue set up could not be installed

It just keeps looping this and i dont know what to do. Anyone have any ideas

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A couple of things could have happened when it was interrupted

Format the drive, if it still won't install, test the RAM Memory

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, use the default, not quick format option, and check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

13urger

13urger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
awesome i will try that...just to make sure i can download it on this computer and then burn it and it wont do any damage to this one?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Only if you burn and then boot from it :whistling:

Hope it goes well

13urger

13urger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i hope so too.

thanks

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Most definitely there's nothing wrong with Windows Install CD as it seems you used it in the past. So either reformat will help or there's some damage to hardware. Or it's just cd-drive that can't read files properly. imho