Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you leave a monitor off while a pc is on?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Good afternoon,

We recently purchased a few monitors for our offices. The monitors are great but we have a question about saving energy and also keeping the heat temp down in our rooms. Basically we have our pcs running around the clock for many hours which causes a lot of heat in our rooms especially from the monitors. & well most of the time we leave around midnight and leave all of our pcs on with the monitors on as well. We were wondering if any damage will occur to our computers or monitors if we turn the monitors off while the pcs are on. We basically have to run software during the night time and internet applications that process themselves. But we would like to know if this will cause damage to our pcs, video cards, or monitors if we turn the monitors off all night and back on in the morning time. We've got a lot of expensive hardware in our pcs and the monitors themselves are new though some are still CRTs and we dont want to damage anything!

Please reply.

Edited by superstar, 05 August 2007 - 11:50 PM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The monitor is an external unit that basically gets an output signal from the computer\graphics card and turns it into a "display". So the monitor does not effect the work of the computer.
There is no problem with turning the monitor off to save energy/ heat.... That is why there is in the windows screen saver setting an option to have the screen go into standby. In this state the monitor will go into standby mode after not being touched for x amount of min and will save energy. This way it will automatically saves the energy and by the hit of a key it goes back on.
You just need to make sure that the turn off hard disk is set to never go off.

Bottom line - Turn off monitor and have no worry the computer keeps running. No damage will be caused by this.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Also we're not talking about screen savers or windows standby for the monitor. We mean physically turning off the monitor by pressing the on/off button. What do you have to say about it now that we've cleared this up? [ie: no standby or screensaver. physical turn off!!!]

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Feel free to turn if off manually.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
yayyyyy no more turning on the [bleep] air conditioner on blast because the rooms get hot from the monitors being on so long! I will do it at home too. Hope it doesn't ruin my $500 pro soundcard I also use for work!!! Hope your right and doesnt effect anything in my pc or the monitor itself!

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 06 August 2007 - 01:12 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check a monitor to check it shows the desktop when you switch it back on, some won't until you restart the PC

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have not seen that problem with monitors that are less than 2yr' old. Not with new ones.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Are you all saying that the screen not wanting to turn on and show the desktop [black screen until restart] will eventually happen to my CRT monitor?

I'm planning on buying an LCD screen soon... Will it go black on that and not want to show the desktop as well until restart too?

Edited by superstar, 06 August 2007 - 03:12 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I have never seen a problem with turning the monitor off. It do it on my machine if I need to leave it on for a bit, but don't need to see the screen (60+ mins typically).

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I'm not saying that it is a mater of time. There are some models that have done this. I have not seen any of the models that came out in the past 2 years do that at all.
The thing to do is to try it by turnning of the monitor waiting 2-5 min. and turn it back on.

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I always leave one of my dekstops running 24/7 and I always turn the monitor off at night and back on in the morning. It hasn't caused any problems, so you would be probably fine turning of the monitor. :whistling: