Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Problem of Unknown Origin

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2. My computer has recently slowed WAY down. It's taking well over a minute for IE to come up and load my home page. Then just as it looks like my home page, or any other page for that matter, has loaded my entire screen will blink and flutter and the page will be empty again and take another minute or two to finally get itself loaded.

Some times a page will get stuck with the progress bar indicating that it has finished loading and I'll hit the stop button and it'll pop up the page. Other times when I hit the stop button I just get a blank page and have to refresh the page to get to it.

My Anti-Virus and ad/spy/trash-ware programs aren't picking anything up so I'm at a loss as what to do. I have DSL and its running four times slower than my old dial-up connection use to run.

That's one problem, here's something else that's bugging me. All kinds of things have changed in my add/remove programs thingy and I have no idea how that happened. I've Googled some of it but still don't know where it came from, how it got into my system, or how to get rid if it because it doesn't have a remove button to it.

If I did it right I have attached a couple of screen shots to better show what I'm talking about. The things that are worrying me are the ones that look like little CD's next to a PC monitor. If anyone can shed any light on this stuff I'd sure be a happy camper.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

♥ Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 06 August 2007 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
wendy k. walker

I am still not sure what your issue is.

Try this

Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
At the prompt, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to boot the computer in Safe mode with networking. Connect and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then I suggest that you re-post in the malware forum (a link in my signature). If they find the computer clean and the problem persist please re-post in this forum.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi tuxmaster, I did as you said and the operation was successfull...um what did I just do anyway?

Hi The Skeptic, Safe Mode I understand, well kinda just a little anyway but what's the Safe Mode with Networking? I mean I know that I've seen that option on my screen but I've never used it before.

When you say --> Connect and see if it makes any difference. <-- did you mean to the Internet? If you did then I don't think its gonna work because I cant access the Internet while my machine is running in Safe Mode.

Not to worry though, I'm gonna give it a go just as fast as I get this reply posted to see what will happen.

Thanks guys.

Wendy

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you go into safe mode there is a menu in which you are asked what mode you want to use (safe mode, safe mode with last known good configuration, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking etc.). Safe mode with networking is the only mode in which you can connect to the internet while being in safe mode. Please use this mode, enter the internet and see if the system works faster.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi The Skeptic,

Thanks for your reply. OK that might work for normal people...but for some odd reason it just doesn't work for me. I mean I did what you said but IE wouldn't even open for me in safe mode. I'll give it another go later tonight and get back to you with the results.

Thanks,

Wendy

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Have you done a dfrg.msc lately? They tend to help, though from the description I'm leaning towards the malware guess of The Skeptic.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Fredil Yupigo, Thanks for the reply. Yeah I did do a defrag even though windows said I didn't need to.

Hi The Skeptic, Thanks for the reply. OK I finally got this thing to work in the safe mode like you suggested. It didn't help with the IE load speed at all. The only thing that I saw that was different was that any time I moved the browser from one spot to another it was all wiggly looking as it went.

But that isn't anything new because any screen I have open in safe mode does that.

Any other ideas?

Wendy

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Post in the malware forum :whistling:

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
While they are rooting out what may have caused the problem.

Lets head on over to microsofts KB site Article 266668 and follow the instructions there.

ftballtw

ftballtw

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just adding my 2 cents worth. I am no expert, but I do fix computers for many people around here. I had the same problem on my laptop and I just used "System Restore" in Windows XP. My add and remove programs returned and it is working fine. Just go to all programs-Accessories-System tools-System Restore. Choose a date you know it was working OK. Worth a shot!

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi ftballtw,

Thanks for the .02¢ worth there Boo. I had already tried that...twice before I started this thread, and it didn't help any at all. My add/remove programs hasn't disappeared its just that it changed the way that it looked in the blink of an eye and lots of stuff that I don't understand has appeared in it.

Hi tuxmaster,

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna go check out the info at that link but I'm not going to make any changes to anything right now because I have posted a HJT log and I'm waiting for a reply from them before I do anything else.

Thanks guys,

Wendy

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
.02¢ worth is 1/50 of a cent :whistling: