Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 blue screen errors

• Please log in to reply

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Working on a neighbors PC and she was getting error UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DEVICE error. I used an XP cd and went into the recovery options and did a FIXBOOT, FIXMBR and a CHKDSK -R. Check disk had some problems repairing some files but completed.

Upon rebooting the PC is still getting Blue screen but the error is different. SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED STOP: 0x0000006F (0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I checked a few other websites and saw where a sony cd rom may have been causing some problems but this PC does not have a sony cd rom. I disconnected it anyway and retried but still got same error. Microsoft site showed this error but mainly for W2K and NT OS's.

Any ideas on where to go from here? My last resort is reinstall Windows over windows but wanted to see if there was anything else I could try first.

PC is a Dell Diminsion 4550 P4. not sure on the ram. running windows xp pro

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Possibly a bad RAM module, or a failing/faulty hard disk. RAM can be tested with a bootable floppy containing the 'memtest' utility for DOS from here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso Choose the link labelled "Download - Pre-Compiled Package For Floppy (DOS/Win)"

To test the hard disk, download the relevant diagnostic utility from the disk manufacturer's website -- they also run from a bootable floppy. Most of the major disk maker's provide a testing utility on their websites for the home user.

Note, for either utility above, you will need to use a working Windows PC with which to download and create the bootable floppy to use on the faulty PC.

If neither test shows any fault, well at least you know those components are in the clear in case anyone else should suggest testing them, so it will not have been a waste of your time. Unfortunately, very few Windows error messages are crystal clear and unambiguous, so a structured process of elimination such as I've suggested is often the only way to proceed.

Good Luck!

Edited by pip22, 06 August 2007 - 12:17 PM.