Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

Jerico

Jerico

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Sony VAIO VGC-RA834G System and I just bought a Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT 512MB PCI Express Card. No Problems getting the card in the case
I just dont have enough Power running through my system. I have a Delta Electronics 400W DPS400LBA PSU. Sony wont help me with getting a newer power source and of course its a special size so I cant buy just any other PSU. Could I find a External PSU that could work for this model or a new case that should be able to fit everything I have in my current PC plus a larger PSU?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
My only suggestion would be to get this PSU,
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153037
You'd have two PSU's running the your case, I have personally never tried them and heard of very few that have, but I think its your best alternative, unless you wanted to buy a regular PSU and either mod your case or run the PSU outside the case.
Before you buy this, have you removed the other card before placing this one in? That card really don't draw much power, so I'd be surprised if it's a power related issue. Are you sure your inserting the card into a PCI express slot?
James

Jerico

Jerico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes I removed the old one and the newer card was in a PCI express. I started it with the newer one and got error messages about the power and the screen was messed up.

Edited by Jerico, 06 August 2007 - 03:40 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Did you unistall all the old drivers?
You can try this,
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817104019
It's a secondairy PSU, dedicated for your GPU, it fits into the 5.25" bay.
However this PSU won't be able to run higher end cards.
James

Jerico

Jerico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well when I just put in the 8500 GT I still had problems saying I have a Code 12 Error something about not enough resources. I just want the 8500 GT in the sysytem not the old one. I deleted all the old drivers and it still was acting up. I think getting either of the two PSUs should work fine as long as I dont have them both in. It also seem I wont have room for those PSUs in my computer I dont have a extra slot and its a premade system.

Edited by Jerico, 06 August 2007 - 09:35 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really don't think the PSU is the problem as the 8500GT draws very little power.
No, that PSU is designed to work only as a PSU for a graphics card, nothing more.
Try removing all USB devices from the computer, excepting the mouse and/or keyboard.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 August 2007 - 09:47 PM.

Jerico

Jerico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hmm I removed all of them and I still have the same problem. The only other USB I had was a printer. I looked from what resource the video card is running from and its running from the memory section. I got arid of anthing that was a duplicate but Iam getting the same error. I also noticed when I tried to install the drivers I got got something about The drivers not being windows logo Compatible. Do you think more ram should work because its trying to pull from the memory resource? I mean I have a Gig which should be enough but I have almost everything running in the memory resource.

Edited by Jerico, 08 August 2007 - 02:16 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well what do you use the card for? The problem may be that the card is just not that powerful to begin with. I personally think that the 8500 is not worth it, not to hurt your feelings. I have no idea why nvidia even came out with them because the only perk about them is that they have DirectX 10 but they don't have enough juice to even use it so what is the point of it. If you are just watching movies and surfing the web the card would be fine. But if you are trying to play games with it or are doing photoshop and video editing that is not the card for you.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What operating system are you running to be sure your getting the right driver. I'm trying to figure out what your issue is, but to no avail as of yet...
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 09:16 PM.

Jerico

Jerico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have Windows MCE heres a link to the rest of my system specs

http://www.sonystyle...;Dept=computers

I also noticed something about the Power supply on the bottom of these specs for my card at this site.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1826

Edited by Jerico, 09 August 2007 - 04:23 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.nvidia.co..._2k_162.18.html
Is this the driver you tried to install?
James

Jerico

Jerico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a cd with the card, but i can try this one.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That one is the most uptodate version.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I also noticed something about the Power supply on the bottom of these specs for my card at this site.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1826

Do you mean the minimum 350W system power supply. What you need to look for is how many Amps the 8500 uses on the +12V rail. The 350W is more of a guideline. To truly see if you are low on power use eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5 here: http://www.extreme.o...ucalculator.jsp try out the lite version to get an estimate in watts. Then if you want to be positive that you don't have enough power try the pro, to give you an exact estimate in watts and in the different rails. It is a lot easier then adding every little component up.

Edited by jackflash1991, 09 August 2007 - 04:48 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If that PSU would run a 6600GT, it will run a 8500GT. The requirements are lower on the 8500GT.
James