Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this drive TOAST?

• Please log in to reply

bandonjim

bandonjim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings, I think the hard drive is toast, but I wanted to check it out with the guru's. My wife's CPQ laptop, 3plus years old.... boots up to the WIndows XP screen, as far as it gets. I've tried to repair from install CD, tried the disk check from SETUP menu, they fail.. this is how it displays..

-: Partition1 [unknown] and the size

Of course she hasn't backed it up in months, ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG,, I put in a Buffalo NAS device to make it easy for her... Just trying to get to it one more time to pull the data.. and I'm buying her a MAC!

Thanks! :whistling:
Bandon Jim

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you want to pull data off it, do you have another PC you could put it on as a slave. Then just pull the data to the good computer.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you know the manufacturer of the drive, you can DL their tools and test the drive.
TRY HERE FOR THE TOOLS

To put the laptop HD in a desktop/ tower, you will need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. Usually found at most good stores.

The adapter looks like THIS.