Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I have an uncle that has asked me to help him with a computer problem. His laptop is stuck in a restart loop which I'm sure can easily be fixed with a chkdsk /r or a reformat. Before I get on to that he has approx 2gb of pictures that he would like to recover. I'm trying to find the best way to transfer these files to another computer. I was able to get puppy linux going on the system but it was my first time getting my feet wet with linux. He had an external hard drive but it was very old. He also had a USB computer link cable. Both sounded like good options but the problem I had was getting drivers installed. Linux isn't my thing and apparently .EXE files don't just execute in linux...

I'm looking for suggestions on recovering these files before I attempt to repair Windows. I was thinking a flash card would work but I'm not sure if they are plug and play with linux. I suppose FTP is also an option but I have never made an attempt to set up a FTP server. Is there a easier way to do this? Will I have any issues with a flash card? Am I going about it this the hard way?

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

Edited by Titan8990, 06 August 2007 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Whenever I run into a questionable hard drive or a problem. I pull the drive and use it as a slave in a second machine. Then I just copy over the files I need and go from there.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That was also a consideration but the hard drive is underneath the keyboard and I don't feel confortable doing that on someone else laptop. If it was my own or if I had taken a laptop apart before it would be a different story.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I understand. I would then use my Preboot CD. I use Bart PE to run a pre boot enviorment that allows USB connections. Maybe try using that, I cannot get to the main site right now but here is the link

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a shot if I can ever get the page to load myself. Will this work with a USB HDD or mainly for a USB flash drive?

Edited by Titan8990, 06 August 2007 - 02:08 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I use HDD, I usually am stuck recovering 5 GB +

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I still can't get that link to work. Do you have another link or a different suggestion?

Also is this boot program going to be self-explainitory? Do you know of any guides?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Here is an alternate Download

Here is a guide to using Bart PE

Once you create the bootable disk, when you boot from it, its completely graphical. Just make sure the USB is plugged in, then you can copy the files off from the HDD to the USB.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sweet, I'm going over there to work on it either tomarrow or Friday. I will let you know how it turns out. I appreciate the help.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Not a problem, kinda upset their link is down :blink:

But it should go through for you. Good luck :whistling:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Linux could be an option as well... live linux should detect a thumb drive ( particularly puppy as it's designed to save the settings to it. ) BUT not all linux can manipulate ntfs.... I think you should be able to copy stuff off okay though.....

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I finally got around to the laptop today. I was unable to compile Bart PE on my computer. I was able to save his pictures with a flash drive and puppy linux. I had to wipe his drive because he couldn't remeber his admin password but it all worked out. Thank you for the help.