Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with add hardware wizard

• Please log in to reply

HardwareTrouble

HardwareTrouble

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I hope someone can help me.

I've tried to install a few different devices recently and once add new hardware wizard has completed I get the following error message:

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:

USB mouse (etc)

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The data is invalid

And then it just asks me to click finish to close the wizard.

No matter how many times or different ways I try to do it thats what it says. I dont have a disk for the mouse, its supposed to be plug and play.

When i try to uninstall the mouse from device manager it doesn't go away until i pull out the usb plug. Also when I right click on the device in device manager and view the properties it says:

This device is not configured properly (Code 1)

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers doesnt work.

I just had extra RAM put in my laptop recently and this is the first ive tried installing devices since then so dont know if thats got anything to do with it.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

Did you have this problem with the mouse before you added the memory?
have you tried the mouse in a different computer? Just to make sure that it is o.k.?

HardwareTrouble

HardwareTrouble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No I just bought the mouse so only tried it once I had the memory. I never had a problem with devices installing before I got the memory put in, but in saying that I hadn't tried to install any devices in a while, possibly a year or so so that's why I can't be sure if it was the memory that caused it, or if it stopped working before the memory went in. I will try installing the mouse on another computer and let you know how that goes.

HardwareTrouble

HardwareTrouble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again. Update on the mouse problem. The mouse installed fine on another laptop, no problems just plug and play like it should be. I tried it again in my laptop tonight but still the same error message. I also tried installing a memory card reader device but that wouldn't install either so I dont think its just the mouse! I have come to the conclusion that I can install no new hardware on my laptop at all now :whistling: can anyone suggest how i fix my hardware wizard problem?! Pleeeeeeeeease!

p.s. all my previously installed devices are working fine!

Edited by HardwareTrouble, 08 August 2007 - 06:08 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
For starters take out the memmory stick and see if can plug and play.
If it does then it is something with the ram if not then we will try to solve it differently.
Keep us posted.

I was away so I did not respond the last few days.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Have you tried the mouse in another USB slot?
If it works then the 1st slot is bad. If it doesn't, uninstall all USB devices. Shutdown the computer and then restart. Let the software reinstall the USB's.

HardwareTrouble

HardwareTrouble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there sorry I've not replied sooner been working a lot of hours! Tried the mouse and other devices in other usb slots and still got the same error message. I am a bit wary of trying your method of uninstalling all the usb devices on my laptop as I don't think I will be able to get them installed again and don't really want to chance it! If there are no other options I think I might just take my laptop back to the shop that put the ram in, as all the problems started once this was installed so I think this may be the root of the problem. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be very grateful, but if not, thanks for your help. Hopefully the shop can help me sort it.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try running memtest you can download it it here. This will check the ram if it good without having to go back. You should put it on a cd and then boot from the cd. let it run for a few hours. If there are any errors then you know it is the ram.
Let us know what you found.