Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP issues

• Please log in to reply

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My hard drive recently crashed. I bought a new hard-drive and installed windows xp pro. Now when I loaded my ISP software it give me an error saying check all my hardware connection. I know the hardware connections and modem is fine becuse it work on my old coumpter (the computers are not network together). When I checked my connection status of the 1394 connection it say it is connected but there is no activity. Under the Support TAB: Address type, IP Adress, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway are all blank. I want to the CMD prompt and tried "ipconfig" nothing happened (I not sure if cmd prompt was supposed to be C:/ because when I got c:/document and settings>:/). My DSL Modem work fine before the crash.

Any help would be great
John

Edited by johnjsmith, 06 August 2007 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Are you using a 1394 connection, or is it a RJ45 network cable???

If you go to Start -> Run -> type: cmd
hit enter
type: ipconfig/all

It should give you an output of the connections.

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the fast reply.

I am using a RJ45 cable between my DSL moden and 1394 adapter.

I used the "ipconfig/all" cmd and got this "Windows IP Configuration".

Is it normal in the cmd prompt to come up as "c:\Documents and Settings\John>

Thanks for your help

Edited by johnjsmith, 06 August 2007 - 09:47 PM.

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The 1394 connection says connected when there is nothing pluged into the slot. Just a little more info.

Thanks in advance.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
yes by default it is set to that path.

Make sure you connect up the connection first :whistling:

If you go into Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> 1394 Connection
Right click and go to Properties.
In the middle box go to TCP/IP
Select Properties
Set both buttons to automatically select
Ok out of all the screens until you are looking at the Network connections again
Right click on the 1394 and click repair
Do the ipconfig/all command again and see what it reports

Edited by jaxisland, 06 August 2007 - 08:36 PM.

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks again But!

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completeted: Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."
Anymore ideas?

Thanks agian

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Lets do this:
This is only if you have SP2 installed.

Go to Start -> Run -> type: cmd
hit enter
Type in: netsh winsock reset
Hit enter
Reboot

When computer starts, open up the run command box again,
this time type: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
press enter
reboot

Then rerun the repair, if that doesnt work do another ipconfig/all

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well still no luck. Sstill unable to repair, and no info, all i get is "Windows IP Configuration" (from cmd prompt).

Thanks for hanging in.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
When you go into Network Connections, what do you see?

Take every connection you see and make sure that they have TCP/IP and Client For Microsoft Networks listed in the center box. Also make sure there is a check mark next to them.

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Right now there is only one connection (1394 Net Adapter) under the LAN or High-Speed Internet. All 4 boxes are checked. I haven't setup up my broadband yet since there is no connection with the adapter yet.

Thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im sorry I dont have the answer readily available. Its late I am headed out for the night. What I can remember with 1394 is you need two connections and then bridge them together. I dont think it will connect with just that connection. I can check tomorrow though.

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for all your help, I will try setting up my broadband connection and then bridge them together. If it works I let you know if it doesn't I will let you know, If you have anymore ideas tomorrow please let me you.

Have a good night!

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Unable to bridge, my ISP is under broadband and 1394 is under LAN or-High Speed Internet (This is how it was set-up before and worked fine).

There is nothing plug into the adapter and it says connected, before it would have said disconnected. Is this an issue? Before the conection automatically came up Local Area Connection and now it's 1394, does this matter?

Edited by johnjsmith, 07 August 2007 - 06:44 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the 1394 connection is a logical connection unless you've got a firewire port....1394 is firewire and you can set up REALLY highspeed LANs with firewire...however...if you do not have a firewire port connected to another machine...then the 1394 connection is useless..it will say it's connected whether it is or not...microsoft is implementing this technology in preperations for times when everyone will be using firewire for LAN networking (good luck on that)

right click on my computer, then choose, manage, then device manager...do you see any yellow ? or !

you probably need to reinstall the driver for your NIC card

johnjsmith

johnjsmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the input.

Right now I see yellow for Other Devices and all its sub catergories, Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller, Video Controller, and Video Controller(VGA Compatible).

Edited by johnjsmith, 07 August 2007 - 07:39 AM.