Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The right gaming monitor for me.

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I want to get a new 20" widescreen monitor to replace this old and crappy 15" LCD with a contrast ratio of like 300:1 and 25ms response time. I use my computer for watching movies, playing games, and surfing the web. I think I want to try to get a 20" widescreen with a response time less the 8ms and a contrast ratio of at least 900:1. I have posted on another forum which I gave them this list that I narrowed down. http://www.newegg.co.....ue=2333:14220

I am kinda convinced that I am going to get the BenQ FP202W V3 but I am open to other suggestions. Also I am running Vista and I keep on seeing these little things that say that the monitor is "Certified For Windows Vista" and "Works With Windows Vista". What exactly does that mean? Since I have Vista do I have to buy a monitor that is certified or will it do some kind of crazy features or look better?

Edited by jackflash1991, 06 August 2007 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The idea of a monitor being certified for Vista is quite possibly one of the most pointless gimmicks I think I've seen in a long time.
Vista will work on any monitor capable of, well, displaying a picture at a certain minimum resolution - any monitor in the last 12yrs can do that. It doesn't have to certified, it just has to work.

Apparently (and I've lifted this off a BenQ website somewhere so this is heavily active selling here):

LCD monitor market influenced by Windows Vista

Accelerated demand of LCD Display
Windows Vista creates great demand of system upgrades from computer users. Customers will look for LCD monitors certified by Windows Vista.

Widescreen becomes mainstream
Windows Vista is designed to support wide-screen monitor displays for enhanced multimedia features. With bigger size wide screen display, users can be benefited by new features such as Windows Sidebar and gadgets.

Size matters
Windows Vista's core entertainment features, such as TV, movie, and gaming will result users to opt for larger sized displays. 19", 20" and 22" will be the main choices when consumers consider system upgrade for Windows Vista.

Growing Demand in HDMI Interface
Windows Vista interface elements require high quality display and entertainment features are emphasized. Therefore customers are keen on high quality display solutions. It's expected that monitors equipped with HDMI interface will become more popular in 2007.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I personally would go for the Samsung if you can afford it, if not then go for the Viewsonic. The Viewsonic does look like a good buy at the moment with the $20 off. I think you'll find they'll be good choices. I've just seen some not-so-great quality monitors from BenQ in particular...