Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound not working probably b/c I'm an idiot...

• Please log in to reply

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
So I deleted and reinstalled WinXP on my old man's computer, blah blah blah... successfully updated everyting, installed everything except the linksys wireless card driver. Went to the manufacturer website, and needed the model number and version of the card. Opened up the Dell tower (b/c they make it so easy to split them in half & all) and couldn't read the information on the face of the card. Well impatience got the best of me and I tried to remove it... :whistling:

POOF! The power went out after I removed it as I tried to slip it back in. Restarted and hadn't noticed immediately that the sound wasn't working until just a little while ago.

So I thought it was that I had to reinstall the drivers... but I checked and rechecked the Device Mgr and it says they're all there, but I persisted to the Dell website and found this products slew of sound card drivers. Then I realized that the sound worked fine upon reinstalling Windows from scratch (even got the new age music that kicks in when you're setting up Windows for use).

So it just dawned on me that this could be the problem. Any advice out there? Did I "blow" out the sound card or something?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Chainsaw23...

Now you know why one should never, ever, work on a machine while it's running.

Try a different slot. If the card won't install, try a different card. If neither of these options work, it's likely that the motherboard has been damaged.

wannabe1

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey Mr. 1,

Thanks for the reply. The card looks like it's not removable. It's not in one of the slots where you can just take it out.

All the other cards that are removable are the two network cards, an old modem interface thingy, monitor, and that's it.

The input/output to the card are connected to the same piece as the mouse and keyboard, and it runs vertically with the tower.

Everything else seems ok. Is this problem fixable with a new soundcard?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ps - At the time, I thought this would be a software/os problem, is there any way a moderator/staff member can move this to the hardwarez forum?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Sounds like you have onboard sound. Does everything plugged into your PCI slots work? If so a new sound card will probably work if you have an open slot to put it into. If not you can take out the modem if you are not using it for a dial up connection.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
CMW,

There are two slots available, and yes, I could just remove the modem card.

Thanks