Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nForce 680i SLI

• Please log in to reply

LTDigital

LTDigital

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

Just purchased an nForce 680i SLI motherboard with a new Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor and 2 gigs of DDR2 memory. I also purchased an new EVGA 8800 GTS video card with 640mb.

When I try to boot, I go to the post codes and actually get to the prompt for setup, but then the computer simply shuts off.

I have installed the stock cpu fan from Intel.

Any clues?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you put any thermal paste between heatsink and cpu...
is the heatsink install properly...
did you plug in the cpu aux power connecter (4 pin)
you are trying to reinstall the OS aren't you...its tied to the hardware you had before and will not work if you don't..

Edited by happyrck, 07 August 2007 - 08:40 AM.

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes, I put thermal paste (grease) on both the cpu and heat sink;
Yes, the 4-pin (and 8-pin) power connectors are plugged in;
I pulled the drive. I simply wanted to get to set-up. It still shuts off.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to much thermal gel is as bad as no gel..
get into the bios and find the setting for default settings...usually F 5...yours may be different...then F 10 (usually) to save your settings and exit...
unplug from wall
remove 1 stick of ram...check your mobo manual to see if when you only have 1 stick of ram installed it doesn't have to be in a particular slot ( IE: asus A8N-E has to be in slot B1) disconnect everything else except the monitor...keyboard...mouse..try booting...if it still just shuts off after just a few seconds and you are 100 % sure you have the cpu + the heatsink + the cpu fan installed correctly...and the cpu fan is spinning...I would suspect the power supply

Edited by happyrck, 07 August 2007 - 06:02 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just want to add one thing here.
Can you give me the link and/or model number to your motherboard. There have been a number of revisions of this board, the older ones are still sold but have faulty transistors which have troubles with quads, however with the C2D line up they are fine.
James

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the input. I'm at work right now, but I'll be sure to post that information for you as soon as I get home.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sounds good, I won't be on till quite late tonight as I'm about to leave for work myself.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 02:30 PM.

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

The motherboard is an EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard 122-CK-NF68-A1

http://www.nvidia.co...force_600i.html

Hope this helps.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You have the A1 revision which is what I was curious about, thats not your issue then as you have the appropriate board. Follow happyrck advice :whistling:
James

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks,

I now seem to be getting somewhere. I got this thing to run nicely with just the CPU and two memory chips. It's when I stick in the video card (e-GeForce 8800 GTS) that it shuts down.

I used the 6-pin pci-e power plug that came with my power supply. I noticed that the fan on the video card starts but immediately stops. Is this normal? The computer shuts down within 10 seconds.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your power supply might not have enough "juice" to power the video card ...check at the video card manufactures site for their power recommendations...DON'T go with the minimum requirements though...if your PSU is rated high enough then it may be a bad video card...

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
My power supply is a 600 watt Ultra X-ProEE. It comes with a 6-pin PCI-E plug. This is really driving me nuts. I exchanged the video card for a new one, and I still get the same problem. The board runs indefinitely with just the CPU, fan, and memory. The minute I plug in the video card (I've tried all three PCI-E slots) and power it up, it dies. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

My power supply is a 600 watt Ultra X-ProEE

thats plenty of power

I noticed that the fan on the video card starts but immediately stops. Is this normal?

nope...

try getting into the bios and set it to default values...usually F5...save the settings and exit usually F 10...yours may be different...read the screens..
no overclocking at this point...
if your still having problems contact the mobo phone tech support ...you may have to RMA the board...

Edited by happyrck, 12 August 2007 - 06:33 AM.