Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't open links in new window

• Please log in to reply

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

NO NO NO! no hammers!  computers have feelings too lol. don't kill it. I'm at school right now but i'll get a break in a few. I think I found something to help.

View Post

:tazz:

hmm...ill see what i can dig up

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
So you liked that huh zywex ;) lol . . . wait til you see how i feel about dancing... can't do it... looks like this --> :tazz:

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
heh

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sorry -=Zywex=- I left me account open on the screen of my computer. Jerry decided to see what i was doing.... previous post wasnt mine.

The Lightninghawk

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
:tazz:

bfbruce

bfbruce

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm glad it helped some and sorry it didn't help others.

I am certainly no expert when it comes to stuff like this, so without searching more stuff to find the answer I don't know if I could help. The forum I found the answer on might be able to help you if you post your HJT information. I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are about posting other sites though.

I will post it here... if that is against rules I apologize and please have a mod edit my thread. Goto the section for web/email.

Edited. Metallica

Edited by Metallica, 14 April 2005 - 09:17 AM.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It is against the rules. Sorry. Please edit your post. I am notifying a mod though...

mookie11v

mookie11v

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, just came across this as i had the same problem.
I eventually went to the help icon on my PC.
Go to networking and the web, then fixing networking and web problems.
From there you'll get a menu to select from on the right. Click IE troubleshooter.
Click the first bullet: I receive a "The page cannot be displayed" message. Or, I have some other problem that keeps me from viewing Web pages

and go from there.
I found that when i got to the question about the proxy server.. that's all i tweaked and it just happened to work.

hmm :tazz:

you can actually bypass all the above if you just go to internet options in
tools
connections
then click settings and you'll find proxy stuff.
tick the use proxy server and then bypass proxy server addy.
seems to work now.
Mind you i am winging it all here and am not even a PC experts toe.
I don't think that anything like that will cause damage to your computer? so give it a try if you haven't done so already.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Maybe try going to...

Internet Properties --> Advanced --> and look for something there.

Sorry I haven't kept up with this topic. I've been sick again.

Appologies - The Lightninghawk

slbillingsley

slbillingsley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This fixed it for me:
Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced, Uncheck "Enable third Party Browser Extensions" Closed Explorer, Open back up and it was fixed!

Advertisements

ladymuck

ladymuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, problem finally solved!

Initially I had ruled out a virus, since Norton Antivirus gave me the all-clear.

But it turns out that my computer had been infected with a Trojan horse way back on Monday, and this is what was causing the problems. AVG picked it up.

To my shame, I had to get my husband to clear the thing off for me :tazz: because it just kept replicating itself... very scary. So he spent Saturday ridding the computer of its unwanted guest while I set up the old spare PC and used it to re-set all my passwords and registration details. Tedious but necessary.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me out. I'd tried everything you suggested, and was getting very frustrated that nothing was working. Finding a Trojan is not exactly a pleasant experience, but at least it was an answer, and now it's all sorted.

I'll be keeping an eye on this board. Glad I found it in my search for solutions.

tata ;)

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Way to Go! :tazz:

Glad you got him. ;)

tropicaleagle

tropicaleagle

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ladymuck, what exactly is AVG that you used to remove the trojan horse that was causing your IE to not open links in new window? I have exactly the same problem you had and did all the things you did. I've been following this thread but you lost me on the solution. Can you please share what your husband did to fix it. I'll soon be bald from pulling my hair out over this.

HELP!!!

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi.

AVG is an anti-virus and Trojan finder program. It is used to find and remove trogans and most viuses.

Basically what her husband did was let AVG find the Trojan. Then he followed the file path and deleted the trojan.. This can be difficult though due to the fact that most trojans insert theirselves into User's Startup.

If you have scanned with all of this software:

Spybot - Search and Destroy
Ad-aware SE 1.05
Microsoft AntiSpy (beta)
HiJackThis 1.99
AVG Free Edition

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
And you have found nothing, or everything that it found and deleted(if malicious), and you are still having problems. Try this solution

Open Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Properties(Internet Options) --> Advanced Tab --> and put a check in the box next to "Enable Third-party browser extentions.

Please respond and let me know how this works..

ladymuck

ladymuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
tropicaleagle,

I'm really sorry to hear you've been having the same problem. God knows where this Trojan is coming from - I only visit mainstream sites and haven't downloaded any files for ages. All a bit troubling.

My Trojan has come back a couple of times, but I've run a check and clean-up on AVG each time and that's taken care of it.

You can download AVG from the Grisoft website (search Google for 'free AVG grisoft').

Run a full search - it'll take a while, so just leave it running while you go off and do something else. Anything it finds, it'll tell you about loud and clear, and will do its best to get rid of it. If AVG can't clear it, make a note of the file name of the Trojan (mine was download.small.38) and Google it. That might give you a specific tool for getting rid of it. So far, AVG seems to have done the trick for me.

I'm going to run the check every few days now. These Trojans seem very persistent. Better to be safe, etc.

Good luck! :tazz:

Edited by ladymuck, 30 April 2005 - 02:38 AM.