Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't open links in new window

• Please log in to reply

Vpihaabb

Vpihaabb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi all,

I've had this problem several times, on 3 different pc's :s
it kinda looks like I attract the bug :)

anyway the first time I didn't really bother it just fixed itself, but lasttime when I was reformatting my pc and reinstalling windows XP, I had the problem right from the start... I mean, I hadn't installed any stuff on my pc yet! I just used the cd's provide with the pc and reinstalled it back like it would be when I bought it...
When I noticed the problem I searched hours for a sollution (and found many, but none that work ;) ). Desperate as I was, I even started the whole process right over: reformatted pc, reinstalld windows... indeed problem was still there...
But as I was trying to fix it, it just fixed it self! Like it did before... If it was because the things I did or just a miracle, I still don't know, but 3 days were past.

To come to the point of the story: I always thought that I was my pc itself that caused the problem. But Yesterday I bought a new pc, brand new, and it worked! all was well (how nice live can be :) ) and this morning... It had it again!

I started looking again for solutions and came across this forum. Tryied almost everything that is proposed here, but still no result ;) !!!!!

I still can't open new windows, links, or even search files on my pc! just nothing happens...

It's one the stranged thing with windows Ive expirienced till now, but still haven't found NO SOLUTION :tazz: ... plese help! I'm really desperate!

Edited by Vpihaabb, 31 May 2005 - 10:19 AM.

Advertisements

junglemuppet

junglemuppet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
LightningHawk,

I had the same problem, and you said to make sure that "enable third party browser extensions" was CHECKED, however another user said that for her it worked when s/he UNchecked it, so I unchecked it and now the browser does indeed open links in new windows for me.

I don't understand this. Is it bad that I unchecked it? I am actually on a friend's computer and although he will be glad to be able to open new windows now, I think he will be fed up if I have messed up his settings in other ways.

Any thoughts?

Junglemuppet

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi. No it should not upset any of the computers settings.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Vpihaabb, Have you tried all of the different solutions that have been mentioned in this thread?

Almost all of the proposed fixes for this problem are in this thread.

When you finish all of the given proposed fixes. If you still are having trouble. Please post back. I will research some morel.

Anchasta

Anchasta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I fixed my problem after trying everything on this list, and none of it worked...

I installed Firefox. :whistling:

ancient mariner

ancient mariner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I re-boot the links work for a few hours, then stop working again.

duchien

duchien

• Pip
  • 1 posts
sorry if this is getting annoying for you guys but i am having this same problem. here is the info i got from hijak.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:33:42 AM, on 2/5/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18882)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\bdagent.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\msc.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony Picture Utility\PMBCore\SPUVolumeWatcher.exe
C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\seccenter.exe
C:\Users\ours\AppData\Local\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Users\ours\AppData\Local\Temp\Odr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://m.www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: BitDefender Toolbar - {381FFDE8-2394-4f90-B10D-FC6124A40F8C} - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\IEToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer Assist Launcher] C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Assist\launcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BitDefender Antiphishing Helper] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\IEShow.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDAgent] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\bdagent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BMIMZMHMFM] C:\Users\ours\AppData\Local\Temp\Odr.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Picture Motion Browser Media Check Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony Picture Utility\PMBCore\SPUVolumeWatcher.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Plugin Control) - http://appldnld.appl...ex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.ad...Plus/1.6/gp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1D69327A-41BE-45F5-9F83-B01C419E94E5}: NameServer = 93.188.162.13,93.188.166.82
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D00B9979-42B9-4910-94EB-250C116767D1}: NameServer = 93.188.162.13,93.188.166.82
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 93.188.162.13,93.188.166.82
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{1D69327A-41BE-45F5-9F83-B01C419E94E5}: NameServer = 93.188.162.13,93.188.166.82
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 93.188.162.13,93.188.166.82
O23 - Service: BitDefender Arrakis Server (Arrakis3) - BitDefender S.R.L. http://www.bitdefender.com - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\bin\arrakis3.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - BitDefender S.R.L. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - BitDefender S.R.L. - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\vsserv.exe

--
End of file - 4505 bytes

gmaszoo

gmaszoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

if you have service pack 2 on your computer; the issue with the pop-up blocker and whatever internet explorer tweak that microsoft plugs in woud still be present. i had tried that on my parents machine to when i eventually realized the easy fix.

I also have this problem.......
Can you tell me how to fix the service pack 2 that you mentioned above.
Thanks

gmaszoo

gmaszoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I also have the problem of not being able to open some web links by clicking on the or by right clicking on them. Can any one help me fix this? How do you fix Service pack 2?
Thanks

Edited by gmaszoo, 15 August 2010 - 11:03 PM.

gmaszoo

gmaszoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
zywex, on 13 April 2005 - 02:43 PM, said:

if you have service pack 2 on your computer; the issue with the pop-up blocker and whatever internet explorer tweak that microsoft plugs in woud still be present. i had tried that on my parents machine to when i eventually realized the easy fix.

Zywex
what is the easy fix, please?
gmaszoo

Advertisements