Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstall xp professional... .sys file corrupt

• Please log in to reply

cosimany

cosimany

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

i just recently installed the windows vista and tried to go back to the xp which i found near impossible. I ordered a recovery disk from sony solutions as i have a sony vaio and they guided me through a couple of things and eventually even my vista refused to run. thinking i'd lost everything i tried reinstalling he xp again at which point it would say a certain .sys file was missing. i proceeded to delete my operating system and tried reinstalling xp again and once more the .sys file was apparently corrupted. I was wondering if it was a problem with the cd which as a matter of fact i would find surprising as it is an original cd. if not could it be problem with my harddrive? the set up simply refuses to load and i'm at a loss of what to do as i don't want to shell out tonnes of money on repairng.

if i get a new harddrive will my xp cd work?

any help will be greatly appreciated....(in a sense i'm begging)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you format the drive using the default not quick option

Have you backed up the data you need

Have you got the installation CD's for all the programmes currently installed, along with passwords and serial numbers