Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMTP server won't allow me to send e-mail!

• Please log in to reply

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I use Outlook Express and a program called FreePOPs v. 0.2.5 to combine my MSN Hotmail account with Outlook Express. It worked fine until yesterday, when I started getting error messages. I can receive mail just fine, but I cannot send mail. When I try to, I receive this error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Home', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have tried ticking the "Require server authentification" box; I ran the black cmd prompt box, and typed in: "telnet mail.optonline.net 25" and it says that port 25 is being blocked.

How do I un-block it so that I can send e-mail again?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Port 25 is blocked by most ISPs.
This is for reasons of spam.

In any case according to Freepops site:

FreePOPs helps you only in receiving messages. To send mail you have to use the SMTP server from your network provider. If you don't know what SMTP to use, try reading the STMP list page on this website (provided by regular users) for a possible answer or check out your ISP website and their tech support.

But having said that, this is more likely a provider problem anyway especially if its only just started.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
optimum onlline does block port 25 (according to their FAQ)

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Never mind! It works again. Thanks anyway, though. I guess it was only blocked temporarily!