Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a router?

• Please log in to reply

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I frequently like to have a public IP address for games that require one for direct connect. I use one desktop PC and one laptop at home, both running Widows XP home. Now, in order to acquire a public internet IP, I have to unplug my cable modem from the router and plug it directly into my PC. So if I do this, I lose the internet on my laptop (which doesn't make my wife happy most of the time). On my PC, I have a wireless adapter installed and works properly. So is there a way to use my PC to wirelessly broadcast the internet to my wireless laptop? Or if I have to install another ethernet port on the PC and run a line to my router, is there a way to make my desktop a router or something in that sense? I use a D-Link 524 router and I have looked at using the DMZ for a temporary way to obtain a public IP, but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks for your help.

-Marcus

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you hook up both computers to the router, then the router to your cable modem, both computers can be on the internet at the same time. Your local PC does not need a public IP to play games. Keeping a computer on the public internet like that is risky anyways.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

If you hook up both computers to the router, then the router to your cable modem, both computers can be on the internet at the same time. Your local PC does not need a public IP to play games. Keeping a computer on the public internet like that is risky anyways.

Thank you for the reply and I agree with you that keeping the computer is public is risky. However, I play most of my online games vs. my brother and we like to connect on most games we play directly via public IP. Examples, Flight Simulator X (seem to get a better connection than using gamespy, important for formation flying), many EASports games (EAOnline is not fun), and others. The question still stands.

-Marcus

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Check out this KB Article from MS.