Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2 problem

• Please log in to reply

Trilogique

Trilogique

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After following the instructions given in the "How to repair XP" topic above (which fixed my Windows Installer, so thanks for that :whistling: ) I am having another problem. Since my XP disk is SP1a, I had to update many things. However, I cannot update to SP2. It keeps sitting at one of the following:

Checking for necessary space (I have 10GB free on my primary drive and 100GB on my external, so there is nothing wrong with space)

or

Creating cabinets.

Both give details as follows:

"Running processes before installation"

I have waited 3 hours with no processes running and letting this "install" but I am getting no where.

Any tips?

PS: I am using the Windows update one AND the one available for download (the .exe from the Microsoft page)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you are doing the install have you turned off all the antivirus software? If you're installing via the .exe file and you don't feel safe without the virus protection you can disconnect your network while you are running it.

Trilogique

Trilogique

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have everything turned off. It still won't install.

I just tried to do it via safe mode as well.

kingtaz

kingtaz

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
try this thread. im having the same problem and hope the info on this thread works

http://www.geekstogo...k-2-t49456.html

hope it helps

kingtaz

Trilogique

Trilogique

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I fixed my problem.

It was because when I used the installer, there's an extra process running that uses up all my CPU usage. So I had to rename the file that was causing my CPU usage to go up.

Thanks anyways.