Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Port Question

• Please log in to reply

TaraLeigh75

TaraLeigh75

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

I've got an HP Pavilion dv1000
I'm very happy with my lovely little laptop....my only issue...
My USB PORTS ARE DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

Okay, I have 3 ports on my laptop.
One on the left, and 2 on my right side.

I'm a mouse user. (I know groan!) And I keep getting notices from my computer that the USB port is not recognizing my mouse. And I'll get that ding that sounds on your computer when you plug something in...double ding like I unplugged it, even though I didn't.
The plug is not getting hit, I have the laptop on a lap desk higher so that it won't push on it when I'm sitting on my bed working.

(this is the third mouse, I've bought. It's BRAND NEW, it can't be the mouse.)

The left USB port is completely dead. The right top one is giving me the errors.
The bottom right one is still perfect, but I don't use it except when I have to for burning/printing that kind of thing. More like I'm afraid to use it and have it start doing what the top one is doing.

There's my issue.
Can I replace ports?
Someone told me I can't, it's part of my motherboard.

Any clue what I can do?

Edited by TaraLeigh75, 07 August 2007 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I have the same problem with the 2 on the back of my laptop.

I have been told that you can replace them, but unless you have a syeadt hand, some serious skills.... I wouldnt try. You have to open the case, remove the bad ones and soder in new ones... not easy and definatly for beginers.

You can do what I did and get like a 4 port hub, wqhich works great cause its mounted to the lap top and I dont plug and unplug things to the usb, I do it to the hub.

Or opition 2 is take it to repair shop and let them replace it.... but that might cost you a few!

Well thats my 2 cents no one ask for~!