Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bridging a connection

• Please log in to reply

charubin

charubin

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't really know how to explain what I want to do, so I will simple use a picture.

Posted Image

Computers #1 and #2 are windows xp

I have all the cables hooked up as so, but it says that for computer #2 there is "A network cable is unplugged."

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What you are trying to do will require a router such as this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833124010.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
actually...you can do this without a router (it would be better to do it with a router)...but y ou can set up internet connection sharing on "computer#1" once you get it connected to the modem...that will bridge the nics for you and basically turn that machine into a router...this would require a crossover cable betwen PC1 and PC2 though...not a standard ethernet cable

charubin

charubin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I have a bunch of cables at my house. How do I know if it is an ethernet cable or a crossover cable?

Nevermind. I googled and found the answer to my question.

Edited by charubin, 08 August 2007 - 02:26 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Check out the diagram.

If both ends are wired the same then its a regualar straight through cable, so A to A or B to B. If one is different than the other A to B then its a cross over cable. Under normal circumstances not many people have a crossover cable laying around.

But check out the diagram and look at the ends of the cables, that should tell you.

charubin

charubin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, say I just bought a crossover adapter, would that work in place of a crossover cable?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
yes, it just turns a regular cable into a crossover cable, so it should work fine. You might have some fun with your firewalls on each computer trying to allow everything, though, depending on what firewall program you are using.

EDIT: I just wanted to say this - I like your picture!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 10 August 2007 - 12:15 AM.

charubin

charubin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I want to keep this thread going because as soon as I get my crossover cable that I bought on eBay, I may need some troubleshooting help.

Also, does anyone have any idea how this happened?

I used to download at about 35/kbs on a good day. Now, I download anywhere from 70 to 90/kbs. Also, I've never been able to click start on a youtube video and watch it without the need for it to pause in order to download more of the video. Now, I can just click start and watch the entire video without it having to stop. Hey, I'm not complaining, but can anyone explain it?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
That's interesting, it sounds like your ISP has given you a free upgrade? Maybe you should call them and find out. Either that, or something happened recently in your area which freed you up to download at the better speed...

I wouldn't be complaining either! :whistling:

charubin

charubin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, use the same image as before, but the green cable is the crossover cable. In my network connections, it says a network cable is unplugged and won't give any connection to the 2nd computer.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Go to the command prompt on each computer and type "ipconfig /all" and post the results.

charubin

charubin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I went and un plugged everything out then back in and now it works so I obviously didn't plug something correctly. Thanks for everyone's help and.... BYAHH!!!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well done! Thanks for letting us know it all works good now. Good troubleshooting :whistling: