Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fingerprint Folder Protection?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey I just got a new laptop that has a finerprint scanner on it and I was wondering if i could use the scanner to protect my folders Im using protector suite QL for vista premium. just wondering if theres some sort of after market program that I can combine with what I have now to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Do you want "finerprint scanner" :whistling: or "Fingerprint Folder Protection? How about "BitLocker"?:
http://windowsvistab...s/MainFeed.aspx

Edited by Jacee, 07 August 2007 - 08:23 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
well right now I have the scanner and the software built in but I wanna find a way to apply it in a way that I can open up an already exising folder with a fingerprint so if I click it it requires a scan to get in. But I dont want a encryption bin I just want to protect an already existing folder.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but... take a look anyway.
http://www.bestvista...d-jrdqcbzr.html
http://folder-lock.n...alienpicks.com/

You can also use Google to search for your selected items :whistling:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
oh well i guess what I want doesnt exist lol (note to self become a programmer) Sry for being o vague lol but all I want is to have to supply fingerprint Identification to open up a folder. I want the fingerprint to be the only way in and I dont wat that folder to have to be a encrypted cache. Thanks for your help. Id be glad to hear any other ideas if anyones got em lol.

Thanks again!

James Voss

James Voss

• Pip
  • 1 posts

oh well i guess what I want doesnt exist lol (note to self become a programmer) Sry for being o vague lol but all I want is to have to supply fingerprint Identification to open up a folder. I want the fingerprint to be the only way in and I dont wat that folder to have to be a encrypted cache. Thanks for your help. Id be glad to hear any other ideas if anyones got em lol.

Thanks again!

I am looking for the same type of software. If you come across anything remotely close e-mail me at [email protected].

Mr. Kiningham

Mr. Kiningham

• Pip
  • 6 posts
You are probably correct. A program that prevents accessing a folder until the right fingerprint is provided but doesn't encrypt the folder is highly unlikely to exist. Why? Because that would be like putting a locking doorknob on a door at the front of a room that had a wide open back door. Your folder wouldn't be any more "secure" than any other folder, regardless of a required fingerprint, if it wasn't encrypted as well.

Just my $0.02.

EDIT: Just noticed that you pulled up a LONG dead thread. Start a new one next time.

Edited by Mr. Kiningham, 05 July 2010 - 04:46 PM.