Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

avg-antispyware not starting up

• Please log in to reply

binsch

binsch

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i just got back from 5 weeks of camp and wanted to update all my scanners and give a scan of my computer today. i started with avg antispyware and i did the autoupdate and it asked me to restart the program so it can finish the update and i did this and instead of reopening the program the computer looked like it was working real hard and came up with an error message(attached). i tried again and angain and the same message came up. so i uninstalled avg antispyware and then reinstalled it and the same thing happened and the error message came up. i have the free version so of course i dont have customer support and i like the program a lot. if anyone could help or give me a possible way to fix the problem i would be very grateful.

thanks
-ben

Attached Thumbnails

• avg_antispyware_problem.JPG

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I have understood that this happens from time to time. Give it about 24 hours and see if the update still has issues. If it does, let me know and we can dig further into the issue.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
when you say 24 hours does that mean from the onset of the problem or from now because its already been over 30...but i dont mind waiting more.
thanks again
-ben

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
well okay its been another 24 hors and the window keeps popping up if i try to load it.
but yesterday it did something weird.
avg antispyware popped up and said that there was an infected file or something and asked if i should remove it. after this i checked task manager and avgas.exe was not running and i tried to run the program again but the window kept popping up

thanks again
-ben

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Why don't you visit the malware forum and have them take a look. Want to make sure you don't have any nasties on your system before we try something else.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
what do you mean..i should post that avg AS isnt working and give a link to this topic then ask if it could be malware oriented. i can do that..i mean i doubt it but something may have slipped through...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Follow the instructions in the malware forum. Feel free to mention that your avg isn't working (especially about the infected file). Some malware is known to shut down various Antispyware / antivirus applications.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
before i posted, i was running the before posting scans and the same avg AS alert popped up again and i looked closer and realised it wasnt antispyware it was antivirus that found it so i was mistaken before. does this change your decision of me posting on the malware forum.
thanks

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
ok so it still doesnt start up i dont know what to do

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok. Uninstall the software. Then go to Explorer and make sure the install folder has been deleted. Once that is done:

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i followed the instructions and installed it again and it still didnt work. then i uninstalled it with revo uninstaller and then reinstalled it and again it did not work...both times when i say it didnt work i mean when i started the program, it said in task manager that avgas was running but at just below 3mg of memory and that number did not change for 5 min until it gave the notice which i posted in my first post. then avgas.exe is terminated

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Hey it has been a while yet i still cannot run AVG AntiSpyware. Does anyone have any suggestions that could possibly help me?

Thank you so much
-Ben