Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Me Choose a Processer

• Please log in to reply

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hellow,
i am planning to buy a new pc and wanted some advice. i am somewat type of hardcore gamer with an intrest in developing high end pc softwares..........so i think that this is the right time for an upgrade.So please help me decide a processer according to my needs
i have some choices
  • intel Core 2 Duo Processer E4300
  • intel dual-core Processer E2160
  • intel dual-core Processer E2140
  • intel Pentium D Processer 925
and please if you could can you tell me which chipset would be best to use with the respective processer.....i want the one with good graphic card.....
thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I recommend the E4300 as it has more cache which will come in handy when compared to E2160 and E2140. The pentium D runs to hot and is being phased out causing the price to rise.
Are you reffuring to onboard graphics, ie graphics built into the motherboard?
James

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for the reply james
and yes i am talking about on board graphic card

is there any other processer that comes in e4300 range and is better than this???
and one more question if i couldn't get e4300 than is it a good idea to go for e2160 processer......???

please help i am a bit confuced .....

but if you say that e4300 is good i'll go for it

and thanks again for a great reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's good but not great. How hardcore do you game? Meaning by which, what settings do you want to play at and what games are you planning on playing.
James

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'd go for 4300 as techies suggest. D is a bit outdated already... but if you ask my opinion, I would consider AMD choice. It tends to support its platforms by extending the range of processors available for particular socket. Remember early Pentium 4 - those processors now are nowhere to go, there are no compatible motherboards. Intel actually likes forcing its customers to buy new mobos over and over again.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I'd go for 4300 as techies suggest. D is a bit outdated already... but if you ask my opinion, I would consider AMD choice. It tends to support its platforms by extending the range of processors available for particular socket. Remember early Pentium 4 - those processors now are nowhere to go, there are no compatible motherboards. Intel actually likes forcing its customers to buy new mobos over and over again.

Umm, this post isn't entirely true, AMD doesn't change theit motherboard quite as often as Intel but they still do it nearly just as often, infact they are about to move to a new socket on their upcoming processor, while Intel is doing this a bit later. Socket revision as well as new chipsets are needed to continue the development of processors which contain new features and new demands. That being said AMD is a better alternative to budget builds. If you want to go with a more futureproof build I recommend the P35 chipset as it will support Intel new line of processors which will be released near the end of the year.
James

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
so you all recommend e4300 with amd motherboard right?
or e4300 with intel p35?

i often play games like need for speed Carbon, Assinees's Creed, Tomb Raider Aniversery, Prince of Persia, sprinter cell double agent and none of them are working on my pc right now......lol ( I played them on my friend pc)

and

i work on softwares like Microsoft Visual Studio, Macromedia flash 8, Autodesk Maya

alright if you guys recommend these configration i'll go for it...Maybe i'll buy it in less then next 7 hours....
Thanks for replys..................

If you want to recommend somthing else please do so......i can't express in words how buying a new computer means to me..

Thanks Again guys

Edited by ankitsuhail, 08 August 2007 - 11:15 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a note the P35 is an Intel chipset, not AMD. Do not buy a Intel processor with a motherboard that has a AMD chipset.
This processor will struggle if not overclocked, the clocks are low for playing games, of the games you listed it will likely not play Tomb Raider Aniversery, splinter cell double agent.
Whats your budget for your processor and motherboard?
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 August 2007 - 12:33 AM.

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
my budget is around Rs. 12000 ($ 300 ) just for a motherboard and a processer...... i heard that amd board have good graphics as compared to intel. is that true??
man i am so confuced what to buy.........actually this is the first thing i am buying from my first salary.

james can u please give me the final configration i should buy.....Which suites my needs.....(if not full but near to that of what i want) please....

Sorry to be a pain in the butt.........but i really want to upgrade my pc with the best configration i could get

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's really hard to say which is better for onboard graphics. I have my doubts that on board graphics will be enough to run some of your games.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103759
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128034
If you can afford a better AMD CPU go for it :whistling: But I think AMD is defiantly the route to go in your case.
James

ankitsuhail

ankitsuhail

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i don't have words to thank you james you are such a nice guy ..............
i will go with your choice and buy these two monsters right away thanks a lot james.....
if there is anything i could do for you please tell me....
thanks again!

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i think james mentioned something about wanting a new car recently... ;-)

btw, thats the same AMD processor that I want. I hear they are really trustworthy. which is good, because i've destroyed so many AMD chips before. You need to remember to reapply heatsink compound at least once every 6 months or they start overheating and they die. X_X

Edited by w0lverine, 10 August 2007 - 03:12 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

i think james mentioned something about wanting a new car recently... ;-)

:whistling:

You need to remember to reapply heatsink compound at least once every 6 months or they start overheating and they die. X_X

You shouldn't need to do this, thermal compound doesn't lose it's heat transfer rate, if anything it should improve by that time (after the 300hour burn in time, some people believe in this), unless it dries up. But that takes a LONG time to happen.
James

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ahh, yeah, i SHOULDN'T have to do it... your right. But every fried athlon and sempron chip that i have inspected has this wierd layer of mummified heatsink compound, and i just figure that it should probably be replaced at least once a year. I see a lot of this stuff, and i always figure its best to be safe than sorry. I know what your saying though, heatsink shouldn't do that.