Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Explorer Trouble

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2 and I'm using IE6. Here recently I have started having some kind of trouble with IE.

I'm not sure what's causing it but SpyBot Search & Destroy has started notifying me of registry changes having to do with my browser.

Something keeps Deleting something called a "User-specific browser toolbar" and makes mention of "ITBarLayout", only to reinstall the same thing a few minutes later.

When this deleted value thing happens I loose some functions in IE such as the ability to copy/paste or right click to open links in another window. Sometimes when I open a new browser my Google toolbar will be gone too, but everything goes back to normal once that value has been added back again.

From the Googling that I've done "ITBarLayout" seems to be something evil but I haven't been able to find anything that says how to get rid of it if it is.

Have any of you guys had anything like this happen to you? Or know what might be causing this to happen?

Thanks for any information.

Wendy

Advertisements

Clark76

Clark76

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
Hello

Since it sounds to be malware related, follow the steps in this link:
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Clark76,

Thanks for the reply. I started there a couple of weeks ago. I ran everything there except Panda because my Anti-Virus program doesn't like Panda.

I've also ran several ad/spy/trash ware removers that I have that aren't listed there and everything keeps coming back clean.

I'm starting to lean towards thinking that IE might be slightly corrupted and in need of repair but I have no idea of how to repair it as it doesn't show up in my add/remove programs thingy.

♥ Wendy

Clark76

Clark76

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
Hello Wendy

I found this link at Microsoft's Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro...kb/555460/en-us

I don't believe ITBarLayout is malware related. Do you have TeaTimer enable in SpyBot Search & Destroy? If so you might have at one time set it to deny ITBarLayout.

If you have TeaTimer enabled I suggest running this tool:

Using Internet Explorer, download ResetTeaTimer.bat.

If you are using Firefox, right click the above link and choose ‘Save As’. Save it to your desktop.

Double click ResetTeaTimer.bat to remove all entries set by TeaTimer.

======

Then if Spybot prompts to allow or deny ITBarLayout select allow. Let us know if this helps.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Clark76, Thanks for the reply.

You said --> I don't believe ITBarLayout is malware related.<-- From what I've Googled up on it I don't think it is either but I still have no idea what it is.

You asked --> Do you have TeaTimer enable in SpyBot Search & Destroy? <-- Yes I do

You said --> If so you might have at one time set it to deny ITBarLayout.<-- I have never set SpyBot S&D to permit\deny anything. I do that on a case by case basis with each alert.

Each time that that registry entry got deleted I clicked deny but it just kept right on popping back up and not knowing what the heck ITBarLayout was I clicked deny eight or ten times back to back before I gave up and clicked allow.

Then when it put itself back I just clicked allow.

Thanks for the link. Is ResetTeaTimer.bat something put out by SpyBot? I've already posted a HJT log on this problem so I won't be making any changes until I hear back from them.

Thanks again Boo.

Wendy