Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow browsing (not spyware or virus or network)

• Please log in to reply

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well I've got a strange one on my hand here:

Just formatted my laptop to use for work. Downloaded all the latest drivers and installed all the windows updates. Everything is great except browsing-Both IE and Firefox have trouble loading pages (they keep redrawing, or skip images, or sometimes do nothing unless you repeatedly request the page.) Anyways, this is a clean installation of XP Pro SP2. All updates and the installation of anti-virus software were done offline so there's no chance of virus/spyware infiltration there.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

- Different browsers - same thing
- Network - not cable or switch, all other computers are fine
- Wired and wireless - same thing
- resetting winsock
- Tried older network drivers

Any ideas?

Advertisements

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
How fast is your connection? Is it a wireless connection with no password? People could be hogging your bandwidth.

Well I've got a strange one on my hand here:

Just formatted my laptop to use for work. Downloaded all the latest drivers and installed all the windows updates. Everything is great except browsing-Both IE and Firefox have trouble loading pages (they keep redrawing, or skip images, or sometimes do nothing unless you repeatedly request the page.) Anyways, this is a clean installation of XP Pro SP2. All updates and the installation of anti-virus software were done offline so there's no chance of virus/spyware infiltration there.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

- Different browsers - same thing
- Network - not cable or switch, all other computers are fine
- Wired and wireless - same thing
- resetting winsock
- Tried older network drivers

Any ideas?

Edited by I.D.S. Administrator, 08 August 2007 - 07:39 AM.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

How fast is your connection? Is it a wireless connection with no password? People could be hogging your bandwidth.

It's a 3Mb ADSL line, all other computers are fine with regards to browsing. I'm still scratching my head on this one.

PS. No unsecured wifi here :whistling:

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
You could always use the "netstat -n" in prompt and see what is all connected.

It's a 3Mb ADSL line, all other computers are fine with regards to browsing. I'm still scratching my head on this one.

PS. No unsecured wifi here :whistling: