Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremly Annoying

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello all,

Well my mom just woke me up and told me to come listen to the computer. I was a little weary and tired as it was 530 in the morning, but I still did.

A strange high pitched kinda of chirping noise would emit from the PC about every 30 seconds. So my first thoughs was to turn it off. That did nothing. Then I pulled it out and unpluged the power cord, still chirpin as it was before.

To try to describe the sound more, its like what you would hear out of your firealarm. One of those beeps eery 30 seconds. Its actually quite loud, as to where now I won't be able to go back to bed :blink:

Please help me before I call the Geek Squad :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how long does it keep chirping after you unplug it? is it a short chirp...or...more like a constant whistle

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well its been unplugged now for a good 15 to 20 minutes at least; ans still goin strong.

Also the little green light and the back of the PSU went of after about a minute of unplugging it so I know the power is off.

And its like a high pitched beep about every 30 seconds. Not a continuous eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee type of noise. Just a E.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The PC might have experience a power supply failure of one or more outputs. Have you tried turning it on since? Make sure the ac outlet is at the correct voltage. If it is a PC that has been used a long time or in a dusty enviroment, the temps may have reached the tripping point and sensors shut it down. Just stabbing at straws here. Maybe someone will post a better idea by the time you get enough sleep.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
take out the CMOS battery from the motherboard too...see how long it takes the chirp to stop....

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hmm that seemed to work. I took it out for about 10 minutes and put it back in, no problems yet. PC is back up and running. I will see if it continues or comes back later.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
That might be a warning that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.