Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS error on boot

• Please log in to reply

Sic

Sic

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

This morning, when I started the computer, the first black screen froze and the error reads:

Warning! CPU has been changeed or CPU Ratio changed fail
Please re-Enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup & remember to save before quit!

I don't know why that happened, because I've been using this computer for years, and today is the only time I saw that error.

I just press F1 to continue the boot process, and I'm able to use the computer fine but when I shutdown and open the computer again, it shows me that error again.

And another thing, it changes the date and time of my computer every boot up. (Jan 01, 2003)

I made a Hardware report with EVEREST, I attached it to this post.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your CMOS battery has probably died...it's a little watch battery on the motherboard...just go to the store and get another one....when you put it in the PC you'll have to reset the date and time...but it should stop the errors

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok. Thanks ds.

Is it just like a regular watch battery? The circle one? Because I have lots of spare here, can I use that? Or are there batteries specific for motherboards?

Ty

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not neccesarily specific to motherboards...but it is a specific type of battery...you'll have to check the numbers on the back of the battery (the flat side) to make sure it's the right type

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Alright, thanks man.