Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems hooking up sata hd to host controler card.

• Please log in to reply

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello.
I just received a 400 gb sata hd from my son. I bought a serial ata host controler card to hook it up to my mother board which is a PIII 1 ghz cpu with 256mb of ram.
I hooked the card up just like it said to. Then I copied the win drvs from the installation cd to a 3.5
floppy disc.
I put my xp pro cd in the cd-rom and started the computer.
It booted to the cd and ask if I wanted to install any raida or scsi.
I pushed f6. It went through the loading of its drivers and then told me to put the floppy in and press enter.
I did and it loaded the windrvs (Silicon Image SIL 3114 SATALink Controler.
It rebooted to finish windows instalation on the sata but when it started back up it din't boot to the place it left off it restarted and I did this a few times.
Anyone got any Ideas?
I have a 15 gig hd in my ide0 now.
thanks and later
Butch Kimball.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's probably booting from the cd after the restart.....you boot to the CD...install the sata drivers and format the drive...then when it restarts you shouldn't be choosing to boot from CD again