Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check Disk will not run on external drive.

• Please log in to reply

Alabama Yankee

Alabama Yankee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Compaq Presario SR1710NX with Windows XP Home SP2.
I have two external hard drives hooked to my comuter, "M" drive and "H" drive. When I set the "M" drive to do a Check Disk (Chkdisk ?) and reboot, it goes into the Chkdisk and checks it.
But when I set the "H" drive to do a Chkdisk, and reboot, I get a normal shutdown and reboot. Chkdisk will not run on my "H" drive.
I hope that someone has a solution for me. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I assume that both disks are recognized by windows, are formatted, can be written into, read from and can be approached through My Computer.

There are two ways to run chkdsk:

1: right-click disk H in My computer > properties > tools > error checking > check now.

2: Use an XP cd to reach Recovery Console. While there type at prompt: chkdsk h: /r and see what happens.