Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry restore problem

• Please log in to reply

groovedaddy

groovedaddy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running Windows 98. As my system was rebooting, a message appeared saying that it was restoring the last known good registry (or something to that effect). The problem is -- it restored a registry configuration from several years ago, and I've since added a lot of programs and hardware that are no longer being supported.

This has happened before over the years, but I've used Gateway Goback to eventually fix it. That's not happening now.

When I boot into DOS and do a scanreg/restore, I'm showing 4 registry backups. 2 are from 8/6/07 and 8/7/07 -- these don't do any good, because my problem happened on 8/5. The only other 2 backups are from 2000, which is apparently what is being restored.

I need to find a backup from the 1st week of August, but I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You'll just have to re-install everything that now doesn't work properly -- as if you were installing it for the first time. Then get a good disk-imaging utility (Norton Ghost 2003 or Acronis Drive Image) which creates a full backup of your C: partition which can be restored in minutes. Just be wise and create the image using DOS, not Windows. Ignore what the developers claim -- you cannot create a reliable backup of Windows system files while it is actually running!