Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi USB Ariel

• Please log in to reply

Rj_d2

Rj_d2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi does anyone know if it is possible to connect a Wifi ariel to my laptop to improve its Wifi reception?
It is a dell laptop with a built in wirless adaptor, but was just wondering is there any usb ariels or other means of ariel available to connect straight to the laptop which will improve my reception.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...well...yes and no...there are methods that i've seen posted out on the internet for opening up your laptop and extending the wireless antenna...but it's not exactly something that i'd want to do

there are ways of extending the range of external usb wireless devices etc..

Rj_d2

Rj_d2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi okay thanks for your help. So there are no exernal antenna's available that plug into the laptop and override the built in one?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well yeah....you can get an external USB wireless device then disable the internal one if you want...but that disables teh whole wireless card...not a problem if that's what you want to do

mikej101

mikej101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Get yourself a D-Link DWL-M60AT 6dBi Directional Antenna and fit that to the router. Will improve the signal and you can direct it to point in exactly the right direction for your laptop.