Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen flickers & blacks out when watching avi files or playing ga

• Please log in to reply

delnz99

delnz99

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
About 4 months ago, I made a post in the Malware Removal forum about this (& other stuff) &, 2 weeks later, was told that this issue needed to be addressed here in the Applications forum....so here we go.

For a while now, I haven't been able to successfully play video files or games, like Sims 2, because my computer will either freeze or the screen will black out repeatedly until a blue screen comes up. It's ultra frustrating! I've tried updating the driver for the graphics card, but no cigar.

Any solutions?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when the blue screen comes up, does it give a stop error code? like stop 0x00000c5 followed by some additional text? That info would be invaluable in helping you.

delnz99

delnz99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Actually, lately when I try to play video files, the computer just freezes & stays like that. I get blue screens sometimes when I restart saying something about the corrupt file being nv4_disp, thinking that's me graphics card so I download updated drivers but nothing helps.

delnz99

delnz99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just got a blue screen after my pc froze & I restarted. I got this same blue screen twice in a row:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X000000EA (OX8708EDA8, 0X86968008, 0XF799ECB4, 0X00000001)

nv4_disp

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

So I have downloaded updates, numerous times, & still I can't play videos or games or run certain programs.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what video card do you have?

When you updated your drivers, did you uninstall the old drivers first?

It could also mean that your video card is failing.