Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Error 0xC0000205. (17)

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Did it. Logged in with password. It didn't help either. :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, after a long search across multiple search engines this is what I found

Fixed My Network Filesharing Issue
My Network Filesharing issue is now fixed. Yes, that's right. I fixed it by editting the windows registry. I noticed that in my event logs I was getting these IRPStackSize errors also. Wierd. I went into the registry and changed the decimal number for this setting from 11 to 14, and it fixed my filesharing issue. This issue, I believe, is related to Norton Antivirus and how pervasive it is to the windows system.

The exact registry key was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Then... change the value for IRPStackSize. You will need to change the base to decimal otherwise you will just see it's hex value. If the value isn't 11, then just increase your value by three. For instance if you have 15.. move it to 18.

The errors related to this are:

Aug 27 17:39:47 myibook kernel: smb_maperr32: no direct map for 32 bit server error (0xc0000205)

Domain=[YourWindowMachine] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES

(In your event logs you will also notice it complaining about the IRPStackSize.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. Is this for Windows XP? I am looking at my registry and there is no "IRPStackSize" I am attaching a screen shot. Thank you.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
thank you. Yes it is for windows xp. Here are the steps to create the key as outlined by microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok. It seems like it worked for one of my PCs. I will check it with all of my computers and confirm in a couple of hours. Thank you.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
OK. I turned off Easy File SHaring and Password for Windows. And it still works. So problem solved. Thank you so much. :whistling: :blink: :help:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Fantastic. Glad to hear that!