Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

{BSoD] Assistance with kernel32.dll (made a stupid move)

• Please log in to reply

sourceblitz

sourceblitz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys - I originally had a problem with kernel32.dll where a few programs are not detecting the entry point and what not...

However, I made the mistake of replacing the kernel32.dll

I took a floppy that I had kernel32.dl_ in it, and expanded it into my system32 folder - and now, on reboot, I have a blue screen, telling me I have an entry point error. From what I can understand, the kernel32.dl_ I used wasn't the same as the original, and now won't load up anything else: and now I can't get back to a command prompt to fix it. Currently, I have a back-up of the original, renamed in the folder.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello sourceblitz,

What is the exact error message that you are receiving.

sourceblitz

sourceblitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's an stop error, with the code c0000139 - and references entry point and kernel32.dll // any form of OS loading, including safe mode will not work.

I know what I need to do to solve the problem - and that's to delete the new kernel32.dll that I expanded, and rename the original back to kernel32.dll - but I have no way of accessing the files via DOS prompt or anything. Safe mode with command prompt also results the same error.

The file that calls the error is ntdll.dll and references the procedurer entry point rtlencodepointer, not being located.

Edited by sourceblitz, 08 August 2007 - 09:26 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried booting to the recovery console from the XP disk?