Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with overclocking

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I really want to overclock but I can't seem to do it. I am pretty sure I can. My motherboard is a MSI 945P Neo3 and I am having trouble overclocking through the BIOS. They gave me some software that I think was for overclocking but for some reason it will not work. (It may be Vista) So I would like to try ClockGen. But with that I am having trouble trying to figure out how to configure it. So could someone tell me how to setup the PLL?

This is my board:
http://global.msi.co...amp;cat2_no=170

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That board is defiantly going to prevent you from overclocking to far.
What's your RAM's rated speed?
Have you read all the pinned overclocking guides in this forum?
What exactly are your issues? Do you not know where to start?
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2007 - 09:19 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
On the RAM it says valueselect corsair VS1G667D2. I found it here: http://www.zipzoomfl...ctCode=85016-46

So I guess it has a Latency of 5.

I have read it but it is more of just an informative and not specific.
I use my computer for gaming and movies and stuff.
And If I am correct, you can overclock through ClockGen right. So if someone could just tell me how to configure ClockGen for my board I think I am set to go. I am looking at the configuration page for ClockGen and I just don't know about the tables on the page like "IC Family" and stuff, in the "PLL selection guide" section. http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

So I just can't decipher which one to chose for my board.

PS:

That board is defiantly going to prevent you from overclocking to far.

By how much?

Edited by jackflash1991, 08 August 2007 - 09:58 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You really can't put down numbers, since you have value RAM it will likely give you troubles as well. Also considering you have a pentium D there heat output will be really high, so heat may be an issue as well.
Before you understand how to overclock in BIOS I really don't recommend you use a program to do it for you as you won't understand the consept and the likelyhood of you frying something is much greater.
Please read the pinned topics and then download speedfan to watch your temps.
Once you have read those topics come back here and I'll be more then happy to give you a hand.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 August 2007 - 12:11 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yes I have read it and I do get the concept and risks.
I am fine with cooling with 7 fans and I have even gone into my BIOS and had the fans trigger at a lower temperature just to be safe, but I did download speedfan also.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Alright, core0 and core1 are what you want to keep a close attention to, these are your individual core temperatures on your CPU.
Don't let these exceed 65*C ish.
Download prime95 and use it as a stress test and run your computer under those conditions for a while, I say 1 hour, others do a 24hour stress test just be be 100% sure, I think this is overkill.

Now as for the concept of overclocking, what don't you understand and what do you need to be explained.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
OK I am trying to configure speedfan and I don't think that it supports it. It has similar MSI boards with just slightly different model #s though. should I try the one that is the closest to my board?

PS: I have a digital thermometer on a wire in my room. Could I just place the thermometer in the case or very close to the CPU instead?

Edited by jackflash1991, 09 August 2007 - 06:53 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Only use speed fan for temperatures, not overclocking, I personally don't find much of the information it provides to be accurate enough to be used as a overclocking tool. The only thing I use it for is, Core0 and Core1 temps, and the 3.3V and 5V rail ratings.
Do you understand how to overclock in BIOS. Start by overclocking in BIOS, then move onto new tools, please don't do it vise vera, because if you don't know how to overclock you have greater chances of risking frying your motherboard.
What is unclear in the BIOS that you need to be explained to overclock.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well this is what it says:
Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801GB ICH7 SMBUS at $0400
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=Winbond W83627DHG
Scanning Intel SMBus at $0400...
End of detection
INFO : NO SUPPORTED CHIP DETECTED

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Is this with version 4.32?
James

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yep, 4.32

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Just tried the beta version. Didn't work.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Next lets try TAT.
http://www.techpower...392/mirrors.php
Never use beta when overclocking is involved.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Crap did not work! First said it needed to be run by administrator then after I gave it clearance it gave me another error message. "Invalid Processor Terminating Tool."
Any others to try?

Edited by jackflash1991, 09 August 2007 - 08:05 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Check your motherboard CD I'm sure there is an application on there which will display information such as this. For an example gigabyte comes with a program called easytune5.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 August 2007 - 08:22 PM.