Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Copy DVD's (Can I?)

• Please log in to reply

TallyTalk

TallyTalk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi! You guys are great.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and am having trouble making a copy (backup) of one of my personal home movie DVD+RW to a blank DVD+R. I thought I could just put DVD in my top drive (d:) and then put the blank DVD in the bottom drive (e:) and use Roxio to make a copy. Boy, was I wrong. It doesn't even recognize that anything is even in the drives. I realize that maybe I need new DVD burning software, but I was wondering if my computer was even capable of copy from one DVD to another.

Thanks for your help!

Tally

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the writer drive recognises the disc, you can copy it to the hard drive, then burn it

Roxio may have a burn as image file option

TallyTalk

TallyTalk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for your speedy reply! I will try to burn the movie to my hard drive. When I do this, what type of file should it be? ISO?

Thanks,

T

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you load the disc, cancel autorun, click start, my computer, right click the drive with the disc, click explore

Select the file(s) you need, click copy these files, (move won't work), choose a location to save them to

Roxio will likely have a burn as image file but will have its own name for it, if you load the disc and start Roxio to burn, it should ask you to select the destination drive, then the drop down menu will have image writer

Select that, then choose a location to save the file to

Then you would use Roxio to burn that to disc using the writer drive

Let me know if it goes any differently

TallyTalk

TallyTalk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you very much! It worked! :whistling:

Tally