Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD's /possible bad driver (?)

• Please log in to reply

discorae

discorae

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
HI! GTG has been very helpful in the past and was wondering if I could get some help...

Am faced with recent computer problems. BSOD sometimes, usually during start-up. Seems maybe there's some bad hardware or a bad driver based on my research. Not sure how to test such a thing or what to do next. :whistling:

I've posted in the spyware removal/HJT log forum initially but was referred over here.
my original post: http://www.geekstogo...oh-t165488.html

a sampling of bsod
  • page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
code: 0x00000050 (0xe8086a9c, 0x00000000, 0x805a0c8f, 0x0000002)
  • 2nd page fault in nonpaged area
code: 0x00000050 (0xefa271c8, ox00000000, 0xbf9e05b1, 0x00000000)
also: nv4_disp.dll address bf9e05b1 base @ bf9d5000 date stamp 3cd2e342
  • multiple_IRP_complete_requests
    code: 0x00000044 (0x8308b128, 0x00000d63, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)

Please let me know what other information you need to help decipher what is wrong with my computer.
Thanks in advance for your assistance! :blink:
~discorae

Advertisements

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
run memtest on your memory. if you have more than one stick you can test them by removing one and checking to see if you get the BSoD still, and then replace it and remove the other one, repeat test for BSoD. the #'s in your description describe bad memory sectors, as well as bad HDD sectors. if it is not the memory it could very well be your hard drive. there are tests available to determine these things.

discorae

discorae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok, so a memtest is in order. Any advice on the best place to download that from? The one I found required a floppy and didn't seem user friendly. (I tried, but to no avail)
And if my memory is bad, is it just a matter of buying new memory? Will my current memory still be available if I should switch them out (lots of important music files-transferable?)? And what does it mean if my Hard Drive is bad?
I'm just not sure how to proceed. Is this repairable???????????? Or is it time to start stashing money under the mattress for a new computer?
Please explain the extent of this issue and possible fix.

Thanks so much. Don't mean to seem like a dolt, just learning things on my own instead of someone else doing it for me.
Independence is good!

cheers~
discorae

ps-I assume it's ok to keep using the computer....will she just up and quit on me at some point????

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Okay, here I go with questions... :whistling:

Did you install any new hardware or software? nv4_disp.dll looks like Nvidea stuff to me. Google "stop 50 and nv4_disp.dll" to see if there are any issues.

You should definitely run memtest86 as Wolverine suggested. Alot of BSOD's are caused by memory issues. Alot of memory issues are corrected by simply reseating the memory modules.

Your music files should be fine. Your files are stored on your hard drive and loaded into memory temporarily as needed. They still reside on the hard drive which is non-volatile unless you're using a Maxtor product. ;-)

discorae

discorae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for some clarification!
Will work on obtaining the memtest86 and running it (see below)

As for your questions.... If I recall, the windows media player 10 is fairly new (updated from older version)--about the same time as all this strangeness started. (including the alerts from zone alarm...a part of the puzzle I still don't understand)
Other software that's new might be some of the spyware fighter/detectors. I uninstalled most of the new ones as they were not helpful. I could give a more succinct list if required.

Glad the music is ok...essential to life! :help:

Alot of memory issues are corrected by simply reseating the memory modules.

is this fairly simple to do? just want the normal computer back without having to reboot 3 times (not an every day occurrence). Everything else seems to be o.k. (except the PING alerts....)

will give an update after I'm successful running the memtest.
question! I have this website: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
then there's all these options. I downloaded: Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.3 installable from Windows and DOS
it was on my desktop (is that the right one?). I extracted the files.... the wizard pops up and then I got asked for a password for the ".bat" file. The read me text was a bit overwhelming at this point in the day for me...

Do I have to download the extracted files to a cd-rom (or floppy)? It just doesn't seem obvious to me what to do next in order to access the memtest and have it run while I sleep. Assistance is greatly appreciated!

:whistling: thanks again! :blink:
discorae

ps-so today (8-24) zone alarm is popping up with "new" alarms.... asking if firefox (a "new" program) can have access to the internet. it hasn't updated lately, so, as far as I know, the program should be the same and ALREADY has permission to access the internet. this worries me and happened initially around the time all of this started. is it connected somehow to my bsod? coincidence? sends up a red flag to me, but I'm no expert. thought it might be pertinent. THANKS. :help:

Edited by discorae, 24 August 2007 - 06:48 AM.