Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop not booting

• Please log in to reply

wayne8

wayne8

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HI all

My laptop (HP) starts up with an error message

We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start sucsessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

I then try select one of those options and in appears to try boot up then it flickers blue then restarts back to this same message(as above)

Hope someone cant help me

Advertisements

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Oh man I had the exact same problem. You not gonna like this, not 100% sure its the same, but my hd crashing.

Do you ever get the blue screen of death? (a blue screen with white lettering listing an error code)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
since you cannot get to safemode with command prompt the idea of using the system restore to return the system to a previous date is out, I can only think of doing a repair with a XPcd of the same type which does not mean that you lose any data as it only replaces wonkey XP system files with right ones.

wayne8

wayne8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HI thanks bothfor the quick replys

i get a flicker of what looks like the blue screen of death but cant read any error messages.

How do i get hold of a xpcd ro do a repair.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Well didnt you get a restore disk when you bought the laptop?

If you dont have one, and are unable to get into the computer to make one. The only opition that I know of it to reinstall windows, again assumeing that the problem is not a crashed HD :whistling:

Anyone else have another idea?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
ask if one of your friends has the same type XPcd, that is if yours is pro then you need pro, not to do reinstall with it since the repair with cd will just replace incorrect windows files and you don't then need to reinstall programs and data if it is only a repair.

another question, have you in fact installed any new hardware recently, what type of computer are we dealing with,

Edited by fleamailman, 10 August 2007 - 12:24 PM.