Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HJT Log - about:blank+other problems

• Please log in to reply

coolhandluke

coolhandluke

• Pip
  • 3 posts
About 6 months ago my homepage was resetting to about:blank - I fixed that, but i dont remember exactly how (i know i used a combination of HJT, CWshredder, and manually deleting files). And i formatted my hardrive since then, so its not like the problem has suddenly come back. I'm running XP home on a dell dimension 2400. The problem only seems to be on my brothers account (he must have gone on a dodgy website, or downloaded something). All the other accounts seem to be working fine. His account is completely messed up e.g
1. Keyboard seems to be acting like a US one (@ and " are switched around for example), something that isnt too hard to fix but still (I'm in the UK btw)
2. about:blank as homepage (i seem to remember it being a kind of search engine when i had the problem on my account, but his about:blank is just, well, blank. It's just a white space)
3. Left side of start menu has gone blank, when you go start>programs, right click on something and try and pin it to the start menu, nothing happens, at all
4. Says files are hidden in some of the folders, yes i have gone to mycomputer>tools>folder options>view tab selected all i need to and clicked apply and OK, it just resets back and takes no notice.
5. Display properties all reset after logging on, for example, the desktop background won't change after applying one, it just stays as a blue colour which is the colour selected at properties>desktop
6. The bar at the top of each window i open is smaller than it should be (the bar with the name of the folder/program/webpage, and the minimize, restore, and close buttons).
7. I can't seem to download anything off any websites on his account. I had uninstalled hijackthis, so i had to go on my account and download it, then come back on his and run it by clicking on my computer and finding my documents on my account. It just comes up with some error, or different ones, 'interface not supported' is one, i cant remember the other one though, sorry.
8. I can't open the recycle bin... that is really odd... nothing happens, the egg timer comes up then disappears. CWshredder finds nothing... it definitely isn't the same problem i had 6 months ago, because as i said before, a search engine doesnt come up, its just a blank page, ad-aware finds nothing either

I have no idea what he has done, its not like he's an infant, he's 20, 3 years older than me. But here is my hijackthis log from his account. I'm posting on this forum from his account too, it seems to work okay enough, but runs slower than the others. I need to know how to restore and maintain the homepage (to whatever url he wants), get the desktop appearance back to normal... and generally regain control of settings on his account as everything seems to just reset by itself. Any help would be great. I'm not some expert on computers, im a bit hit and miss, but if you post stuff plain and simple then im sure i can fix it fairly quickly. THANKS!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 14:51:39, on 13/04/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\My Documents\Random Stuff\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: '@ivt' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Intranet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'file' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'ftp' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6799BA8A-DF76-4370-93DC-D3AD030FF20E}: NameServer = 194.74.65.69 194.72.9.34
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{6799BA8A-DF76-4370-93DC-D3AD030FF20E}: NameServer = 194.74.65.69 194.72.9.34
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe

Advertisements

coolhandluke

coolhandluke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
From HJT:

R - Registry, StartPage/SearchPage changes
R0 - Changed registry value
R1 - Created registry value
R2 - Created registry key
R3 - Created extra registry value where only one should be

From my log:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

R3 looks suspicious... but i've noticed on other logs that for R0 there is normally blahblahblahMain,Start Page = somethingsomething

I don't know why there isn't a URL after the 3 R0's in my log, there's seems to be on everyone elses log. Please help! I think there is a slightly more serious problem than just the homepage changing

coolhandluke

coolhandluke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
please help someone!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi coolhandluke. Welcome to GTG. ;)

If you still need help, please post another log and we'll help you get it cleaned up. :tazz: