Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open certain websites with Firefox

• Please log in to reply

bfly081

bfly081

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,

I recently inherited an ibook G4 from my dad. He mentioned that he had some problems connecting to the internet via wireless and replaced the wireless card. Apparently, this didn't help, so he assumed the problem was a weak signal. I am picking up wireless from my upstairs neighbors, who have wireless capability through their cable internet. (i don't really understand all this, so I hope I'm explaining things right.)

Anyways, I am running OSX and my browser is Firefox. My dad cleaned up the laptop before giving it to me, so I don't think there any viruses or anything on it.

Google, gmail, yahoo, g-rad.org, and idealist.org are the websites I go to the most. Generally, these open ok. Other websites cause an error that says, Problem Loading Page. Occasionally, I'll get this error message with google and other frequent-use sites. I can refresh or re-search and that sometimes gets the website to go through. It all seems very random though.

I spoke with a friend about this, and he said it could have something to do with my computer's allowable search parameters or something (?) I don't know if this is the case, or how I can fix it.

Hope you can help. Thanks, Bfly

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It may seem random because the signal strength you are stealing from your neighbor varies. Please connect it directly to your own family's Internet connection so we can do some diagnostics if it is still not loading pages properly.
Johanna

bfly081

bfly081

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

It may seem random because the signal strength you are stealing from your neighbor varies. Please connect it directly to your own family's Internet connection so we can do some diagnostics if it is still not loading pages properly.
Johanna

hello,
thanks for your reply. i think i should have explained more fully -- my neighbor said i could use their wireless, and could just start paying after i figured out the connectivity issues. they have cable internet they are using to set up wireless for the entire house. (i'm in a separate apt. in the same house)

i'm not near my parents so i can't connect to their internet, though my dad did say he had had some problems connecting. he replaced the wireless card, so i don't think that's the problem.

what is the next best place to try connecting? maybe a coffee shop or a library? sorry... i really have no idea how these things work. thanks again for the help :whistling:
bfly