Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely slow surfing the internet 8mb Broadband Problem

• Please log in to reply

englandvillages

englandvillages

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I hope that I've put this question in the right section.

Have a Packard Bell EasyNote laptop here running Windows XP.

Yesterday, everything running as it should, was flying along doing my search engine optimisation for a fairly large website, 2nd tier search engines, directories etc, learning the process as I went along.

Somehow overnight, the 'laptop' seems to have gone to a crawling pace, especially when surfing the internet, despite a broadband connection of 8mb,

Every page is now taking minutes to load as opposed to a split second and I can't for the life of me fathom out what it is that is going wrong and/or is wrong with the darn thing.

Have loaded the trial version of TuneUp Utilities 2007 and run all their programs, still no improvement, flying along like a concrete hanglider, painfully slow getting pages to load (minute plus). The scroll bar too isn't working as it should, again extremely slow, even writing text, it shows up in it's own time, I havn't got a clue what is wrong - Can someone please advise me on how to get back up to speed as soon as practically possible?

Currently running at 7.1mbps but feels worse than a Pentium 486!!

What do I need to do? Any instructions much appreciated.

Please keep your answers if any, simple for me to understand, in advance, many thanks for your help and assistance.

Best regards.

Mark
England-Villages

Advertisements

englandvillages

englandvillages

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I feel that I should add that yesterday I did notice having thought about it, that whilst I was manually submitting to the 2nd tier search engines and directories, on one of the pages I was on, a script error message was displaying. I went to click on the red X in the top right corner to close it, to no avail, and then clicked Cancel, only for it to reappear a few seconds later again. The only way of getting rid of the message was to move off that page altogether, but then a few minutes later, perhaps 20 minutes later, I started to get an error message saying: "Your connection to the server has been reset", not knowing what this mean't, I simply carried on with my work.

I'm grasping at straws here and just thinking off the top of my head, but could this have been some kind of browser hijacking attempt, or could it be that someone is hogging my bandwidth?

As I said, I can still connect, albeit, it takes about 3-4 minutes for every new page to load.

I'm guessing here that you'll be wanting a HijackThis Log - if so, which version should I use to display, the new version that belongs now to TrendMicro, or an older version?

Once again, your assistance in this regard is much appreciated.

Finally, I take it that the HijackThis Log cannot be displayed here? Where would you like me to post it if and when required?

Kind regards.

Mark

Edited by englandvillages, 09 August 2007 - 11:33 AM.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Mark,

First off I'd like to welcome you to the Geeks to Go forum, and then say I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you want to do a HJT log then go to this page --> http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html <-- and start reading at the top. Just work your way down the page, following the instructions as you go.

Not to worry about which HJT thing to use because there is a link to it on that page. Do every thing that it tells you to do above that link first...then if you are still having trouble download the HJT program, run it like they tell you to and post a log in the HJT forum.

Good Luck Boo.

Wendy

EDITED: Huh-oh... Somehow this little reply seems to have gotten itself posted twice. Sorry about that.

Edited by wendy k. walker, 12 August 2007 - 12:47 AM.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Mark,

First off I'd like to welcome you to the Geeks to Go forum, and then say I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you want to do a HJT log then go to this page --> http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html <-- and start reading at the top. Just work your way down the page, following the instructions as you go.

Not to worry about which HJT thing to use because there is a link to it on that page. Do every thing that it tells you to do above that link first...then if you are still having trouble download the HJT program, run it like they tell you to and post a log in the HJT forum.

Good Luck Boo.

Wendy

englandvillages

englandvillages

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dear Wendy

Many thanks, however the computer engineer sorted the problem out. It was an error with ZoneAlarm of all things. Taking up 90% of my system resources, hence the huge slowdown. I'm back up to speed now, after uninstalling the program, and then reloading it.

Again, thank you though for your offer of help - you may now close this topic if you so wish.

Best regards.

Mark
England-Villages