Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Trouble?

• Please log in to reply

godenver1

godenver1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Presario laptop. I am not sure if I have a bad graphics card or a bad screen. What it is doing is: About 4 seconds after I start my computer up the screen gets extremely dim and I can barely see the normal start up screen images. Please let me know what you think it might be. Please let me know if there is more info. that you need.

Thanks

Advertisements

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sounds like the backlight on your screen died. if your computer is still under warranty you can have that replaced. other than that there is not much you can do for it besides replacing the entire screen, which is amazingly easy to do if you know where to find things on the laptop.

hey, you can always plug it into an external monitor =)

godenver1

godenver1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok cool. I will go plug it into a monitor and see if that will work. I will post again with my progress. Thanks a bunch for the reply.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
no problem, always happy to help.

godenver

godenver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok here is what i am finding now. My laptop screen goes really dim when I plug the power supply into the computer. Any idea what might cause that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi godenver and godenver1 - how many usernames do you have? :whistling:

It sounds like you have the screen brightness options set for different settings.

http://www.microsoft...ed/battery.mspx

This is a Microsoft link that helps you conserve batter power, if you follow the suggestions and then just crank up the settings to a higher brightness, does that work? There should be two lots of settings - one running on battery power, and one when plugged in.