Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new graphics card, no start menu

• Please log in to reply

wrongopinions

wrongopinions

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey,
I was installing a new graphics card for my brother, and I ran into a snag. I have a pentium 4, 768mb ram, windows xp home, HP desktop. He wanted a frame rate over 12 fps for WOW (dont blame him). So we got a 3D fuzion nvidia fx geforce 5500 (pci).
I installed it no problem, the installation cd picks up fine... only issue is it does not display a start menu. I put the vga back into the onboard video card and it displays the start menu there. I boot into safe mode with the new graphics card as the video out and the start menu appears there as well.
I tried going into control panel and opening up the start menu controls....but it wont even open that window for some odd reason.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-paul

edit: I never uninstalled "intel extreme graphics driver" for the onboard card... i dont think i have to... right?

Edited by wrongopinions, 09 August 2007 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wrongopinions...

Some BIOS versions have a setting for initial boot video. Look in your BIOS settings for this and set it so that it looks to PCI for the video rather than the onboard.

wannabe1

wrongopinions

wrongopinions

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I already set the bios to read the pci card first... i get a picture no problem, and running games is smooth

just my start menu and task bar wont show up in windows when I use the pci card and I cant seem to tell windows to put it back

wrongopinions

wrongopinions

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
SOLUTION

this was my stupidity at work... I had it set to run dual monitors, thus the taskbar would be on the fictional second monitor while the icons were all on the one I was viewing....

... i was getting mad too, you would think if you can get graphics up and running with linux, windows should be no problem

thanks for your help though

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh yeah! That would have been my next suggestion..... :whistling:

Glad you got that figured out. :blink: