Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32/PolyCrypt

• Please log in to reply

B.C.

B.C.

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
What do i need to do to remove this virus. Avg detected it and shows it as being moved to the virus vault ???. The path is C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\start.exe. The file size 28.13 kb. I clicked details and next to healable it has NO. next to source it has Moved Object, next to staus it has Infected.

Do i need to click the wipe object(s) button. ??will this remove it
:whistling:

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

B.C.

B.C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Don 77 ,
"Will do".

B.C.

B.C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
"Spyware" what type of treat is the alexa related spyware.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
To answer your specific question about AVG and what to do now that it is in the Virus Vault, this is quoted from AVG FAQs page:

I have some files in the AVG Virus Vault. What next?

Most of today's viruses (Trojan horses, I-Worms, Worms, Backdoors, etc) create infected files. In such cases the only way to remove the infection is to delete the infected file. When you moved the file to the AVG Virus Vault it was deleted from its original location, coded, and then saved in a non-executable file in a hidden folder. Your PC is no longer infected.

If you are not missing any data file and your applications are running, then you can delete these vaulted files from the AVG Virus Vault. You can do it selectively: from AVG Virus Vault program-> select files -> right click on the selection -> Delete file(s).

Or you can delete all AVG Virus Vault contents in one go: Open the AVG Control Center program -> right click on AVG Virus Vault component -> choose"Empty vault".

Note that files removed from your e-mails are also moved to AVG Virus Vault. If you do not have a content filter set, then these files are infected and can be removed, as shown above. If you have set a content filter, then you should decide what to do with the vaulted files.

If you want, you can set automatic actions in the AVG Virus Vault. Please open the AVG Virus Vault -> Servicemenu -> Program settings. Here you can set any required automatic actions.

Of course, continue on with what Don said as, where there is one virus, there may be more. Not any one program can detect them all.

Ron

B.C.

B.C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:whistling: Thanks Major Payne,

i've completed don 77 tasks and will wait for a reply.