Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Malfunction

• Please log in to reply

JuusJester

JuusJester

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so here is the deal, I have a dell opti-plex GX280. I was using it and it just shot a bsod and then failed to reboot. So I took the hard drive out and moved it into a similar computer as a slave drive and copied all the information from the other hard drive to my hard drive. I then took the HD back to its computer and went ahead and started a format and re-install. ( it was about time for that anyhow) So now Im getting a bsod with a different error every time I try and reinstall. There has been different files that wont copy from the Windows XP CD that won't load so I have to skip them and after I do the bsod with a new error. I'm not entirely computer illiterate but I have reached the end of my knowledge base. Any help would be great thank you.

Peace
Jester

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi JuusJester...

What you describe is usually indicative of bad RAM.

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, create the bootable disk as described in the documentation in the download, and boot the machine with it. Run it for about an hour. If you see any failures at all, it's bad RAM.

wannabe1

JuusJester

JuusJester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok So I failed all 6 tests. I have two ram chips could it be just one? or do you think both could be wrong? I guess I could pull one and run the test ay? What would cause this to happen out of the blue. It was working fine and BAM right in the middle of game time no more puter. Thank you for taking time to help me on this issue.

Peace
Jester

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it could be just one stick causing the problems. Try testing them one at a time.

RAM fails...it's that simple. Whether a stray voltage got it or it just decided to quit, it's not an unusual problem. The better brands of RAM like Corsair, Patriot, and Kingston (to name a few) have lifetime warranties and is why I always recommend buying the best RAM you can afford.

JuusJester

JuusJester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Cool Deal I found the bad ram stick and removed it. I am running my windows installation with one ram stick I had 2 256mb samsung ram cards, so down to just one now. That should just make the computer run slower ay? I will be replaceing the ram asap it should not cause many problems?

Peace
Jester

JuusJester

JuusJester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok So I tried to install windows and it gives me an error lsass.exe system something, should I just wait till I get the ram?

Peace
Jester

JuusJester

JuusJester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hehe Scratch that last input, I have it worked out. It was trying to repair the setup time and again but I had removed the ram stick. So I did a fresh install of windows and wala works better. I want to thank you for helping me with this issue and also for being here to help people in need, I will keep my eyes posted and learn as much as possible I too would like to help others. Good Day to you Sir

Peace
Jester

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Always glad to lend a hand. :whistling: